Opening salt water poll versus chemical pools

Apr 2, 2015
Boaz, Alabama
When I open my salt water pool are there any differences in what I need to test from the chemical pools? I've left my pool open throughout the winter and the water is still crystal clear, but I would like to make sure everything is good for the season. Also, how often should I check readings and which ones need to be monitored? I purchased the TF-100 kit a few weeks ago for use.

A salt pool is really a chlorine pool, it is just that you manufacture your own chlorine. You will need to make sure the salt level is correct for you SWCG and that the pool temperature is above that which your SWCG will produce chlorine. Until the SWCG is running make sure you manually add chlorine to the pool to keep the algae at bay.

pooldv has already given you the reading list, but I will add one: Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Welcome to TFP.

First thing that I do is check my salt level with my Taylor salt kit and the rest of the panel with my trusty Taylor kit.

I use liquid chlorine to shock the pool initially and "jump start" the chlorine generator.

Other than that I throw my robot in and let it do work.

Once up and running during the hot summer months I like to throw in a quart or so of LC weekly along with the required MA that it takes to keep my ph down. That allows me to keep my swg running at 60-70% all summer. My salt cell will be 4 years old this year and isn't one of the high dollar systems (compupool).. Knock on wood it lasts this whole summer again!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.