Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening salt water poll versus chemical pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening salt water poll versus chemical pools

When I open my salt water pool are there any differences in what I need to test from the chemical pools? I've left my pool open throughout the winter and the water is still crystal clear, but I would like to make sure everything is good for the season. Also, how often should I check readings and which ones need to be monitored? I purchased the TF-100 kit a few weeks ago for use.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening salt water poll versus chemical pools

Welcome to TFP! Good job on getting the TF100.

Here is a basic intro to water chemistry, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is what you are looking for in a saltwater pool, Water Balance for SWCGs

Here is some info on updating your signature, What we need to know to answer your questions

After you get all of that memorized you can come back for more!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

A salt pool is really a chlorine pool, it is just that you manufacture your own chlorine. You will need to make sure the salt level is correct for you SWCG and that the pool temperature is above that which your SWCG will produce chlorine. Until the SWCG is running make sure you manually add chlorine to the pool to keep the algae at bay.

pooldv has already given you the reading list, but I will add one: Salt Water Chlorine Generators
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for the information. This site is a great addition to my new pool life.

5. Back To Top    #5

Great to hear!

Welcome aboard
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP.

First thing that I do is check my salt level with my Taylor salt kit and the rest of the panel with my trusty Taylor kit.

I use liquid chlorine to shock the pool initially and "jump start" the chlorine generator.

Other than that I throw my robot in and let it do work.

Once up and running during the hot summer months I like to throw in a quart or so of LC weekly along with the required MA that it takes to keep my ph down. That allows me to keep my swg running at 60-70% all summer. My salt cell will be 4 years old this year and isn't one of the high dollar systems (compupool).. Knock on wood it lasts this whole summer again!!

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois