Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing- Such a Waste

1. Back To Top    #1
    Palm Harbor

Backwashing- Such a Waste

Has anyone come up with a way to filter the waste water from backwashing and return it to the pool?

Having to replace the water and the chemicals... It just seems like such a waste.

18k gal. IG, Plaster/Diamond Bright, 1 hp Flotek pump, Hayward S310T sand filter, Great White auto cleaner and inline chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Backwashing- Such a Waste

Not really. All filter systems have some inherent "waste" involved in the cleaning of the filters. Eitehr by back-washing of sand/DE filters or taking cartridges out to rinse them.

Some folks have talked about capturing the water and using it for landscape irrigation. You would probably need a fairly good sized cistern to store the water though.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Most people who are worried about this kind of thing get a cartridge filter. It still takes a little water to clean the cartridges, but it isn't pool water and it isn't nearly as much water as backwashing.

The is a thing called a recovery tank, which filters the backwash water and returns it to the pool. You don't see them very often as cleaning the recovery tank filter is quite annoying, worse than cleaning a cartridge from a cartridge filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't get wasted where I am because I don't have to go to sewer with it. I use it for my backyard watering.

But right here, where we are in dry arid country, our municipalities require it to go to sewer when it could water landscapes. Foolish and wasteful that is IMO.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr