New pool, Pensacola, FL

gat747

Dec 8, 2011
Gulf Breeze, FL
Thanks to all the knowledge I've gained in these forums we've finally signed a contract. We're still a month away from digging so we're open to suggestions and input.

Back yard before picture, the white poles are where the pool corners will be....we were somewhat limited due to 50' setback from the water line. It ended up being 16 by 40 (for swimming laps) with approx 8 feet between the house and pool.
yard1.jpg

Early draft (before the pricing) (we're not planning on the big palms either)
earlypool1.jpg

earlypool2.jpg

And the latest plan. We had to cut back on the retaining wall and pavers in order to keep the auto-cover. It's supposedly the newest stainless steel cable model from Coverpools. We have small children and didn't want to obstruct the view of the bay with fences.

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

The two tanning ledges are 5" and 15" deep with a 4' deep 1' wide ledge around the deep end outside walls.
pool3.jpg

Pool Package (6 PVC-1/2" pipe plus cap umbrella anchors included)
Raised Beam Construction (engineering and textured facade included
SHAPE: Rectangle (as per print)
DEPTH: 3'6-6' (as per print, water depth)
STRUCTURAL WALL: 12” Bond Beam with 6” Wall (commercial specifications)
DECK/COPING: 687 ft2 Paver Deck with Textured Concrete Cantilever Coping
TILE: Frost-proof (color of choice, $6 per ft2 allowance)
INTERIOR FINISH: Sunstone Pearl (White Pearl, 20 year warranty)
BENCHES/STEPS: As Per Print
POOL EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS:
MAIN DRAIN: MDX-R3 (meets or exceeds Virginia Graeme Baker Act)
SKIMMERS: 2
RETURNS: 6 - EcoPool (3 floor and 3 wall with water valve)
CHLORINATOR: In-line Automatic
LIGHT(s): 2 - GloBrite Multicolor LED
AUTOMATIC CLEANER: Dedicated Line Only (plumb and valve for suction & pressure)
AUTO WATER LEVELER: 1 (overflow also included based on appropriate elevation)
MAINTENANCE KIT: Standard Manual Cleaning Kit Included
Eco Select™ IntelliChlor (salt system) with EasyTouch Digital Timer
Eco Select™ IntelliFlo (variable speed pump, qualifies for $100 rebate)
Eco Select™ Quad DE
Cover-Pool Automatic Pool Cover (stainless steel cable, under-mount, recessed vault)
Standard Electrical Allowance with heat pump circuit
Two (2) Therapy Jets (above bench with salt shaker venturis)

Right now we're holding off on a robot till we see how clean it stays with the cover on most of the time.

All feedback is welcome.

We have just signed our contract, as well about a week or so ago. We are waiting for permit approval. This process has been scary, but exciting.
I love the simplicity of your pool. We wanted clean lines, as well. The decking around the pool is great! I really like it. Having an automatic cover sounds awesome!
You said you went with the salt water? Or chlorine? That decision was difficult for us.
Keep us posted once construction begins.
6951fd9001fe50e02113162a22e4cd89.jpg

This is our design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jannylee. We would love to see you post your build in a new thread where we can discuss your build if you'd like. Please do that and let us know if you need help. Under Construction would be a good place to start yours as well. To briefly and partially answer your question, a Salt pool is still a Chlorine Pool.

Gat that is going to look nice! It is funny how they left the door and windows out of the concept drawing. The steps go to the grill LOL

No fencing? Is that to code in your area? I would check to make sure so you do not get caught off-guard if it is required.

Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Kim

Yep, he didn't go into much detail on the house...that's ok. We're planning on doing the steps ourselves since they came in around 5K.
We researched the fence and actually called the county to be sure. As long as the autocover is certified (which it is) we're ok.

Will you be able to integrate the pit cover with your coping? In other words, have them be the same material?
Remember that you will always need to have a cover pump on the auto over when closed or it's not effective for smaller kids, due to rain water pooling around a person should they be on the cover. Since you have frequent rains during the summer that will be especially important. That and if you don't have it on, it can take some time to pump the water off before it can be opened. But I'm sure you will love it. We do.

I believe the only option he gave us was concrete coping with the cover... which I don't mind if that works the best. He's going to cover the exterior walls with the same material that covers the coping. The vault should be covered with the same material if I understood him correctly.

Just make sure you are clear on all those details. You should know exactly what to expect. Can't tell you how many times lack of clarity ends badly with pool builds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the simplicity. We're also doing a rectangle pool. Wow, you have a beautiful view/yard. Your lucky you don't need the fence. Here in MA, even with an autocover a fence is a requirement.

The only concern I have is your 4' deep ledge in the deep end of pool. Kids will likely be jumping in to the deep end very often. I'd be worried my kids might hit it and hurt themselves. We had a bunch of ledges in the deep end and removed them last minute after walking the pool after spraying the layout.

Looks like your shallow end is 3.5'. What did they say your tread height was?

We thought about kids and the ledge, so we don't have one on the side with the deck, the other 2 sides are just walls... for now. The ledge also helps reinforce the exposed walls.

The deep end is 6' deep... we went back and forth over 3.5-4 for the shallow, but we have 2 small ones that will be happier for the next 4 years with 3.5'.

Unfortunately I'm watching it being built the same way you are as I'm on the road for work.... It would be nice to see it in person to see if every thing is the way we want it.

You're almost a neighbor :) My wife is not happy though :( When we moved here she insisted on a water view, and I insisted on Cantonment. We stayed in a place looking back across Scenic Hwy and Escambia Bay for a bit, and it make her insistence even worse, lol.

Awesome view you have and a nice pool, can't wait to see the final result!!!

We thought about kids and the ledge, so we don't have one on the side with the deck, the other 2 sides are just walls... for now. The ledge also helps reinforce the exposed walls.

The deep end is 6' deep... we went back and forth over 3.5-4 for the shallow, but we have 2 small ones that will be happier for the next 4 years with 3.5'.

Unfortunately I'm watching it being built the same way you are as I'm on the road for work.... It would be nice to see it in person to see if every thing is the way we want it.

Oh, I see your point on the walls and the ledge there. Makes perfect sense. Didn't catch that on my first review.

Hopefully you'll be home soon to check it out.

I like the clean lines of your design as well. My build is very similar. I find the concept drawings very interesting but can be misleading. One PB in his conceptual drawing must have though it would be cute to add a woman in a bikini with dark hair on the sun shelf. My wife is blonde so she was not amused. He was dismissed pretty quickly. My neighbors used him but they have had real problems with him so I'm glad we did not use him.

I would be making a call to the FB to find out why it is a little wider than you thought it would be and what their plans are for it. Right NOW would be the time to fix it. If you wait too long it will take MAJOR stuff to fix it.

Just wanting to make sure you are covered.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.