Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I stop brushing my pool if I have a robot?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I stop brushing my pool if I have a robot?

I have finally decided to pull the plug and buy a robot to take over my pool cleaning. Yes I would much prefer to watch a bot do the work after 4 years of manual brushing and vacuuming on weekly basis. My routine with a vinyl lined pool has been leaf raking on once or twice a week then brushing on Wednesday again on Saturday a few hours before vacuuming.

Although I expect to still need to leaf rake a little, I am interested to know if I put a Dolphin M5 in the pool twice a week, can I stop the manual brushing? Does the robot give me the same general agitation and water line cleaning as a nylon brush?
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I stop brushing my pool if I have a robot?

I think this is one of those YMMV situations. If the cleaner climbs the walls and you get good circulation in the pool you may be able to reduce or stop brushing the pool. Perhaps some other Dolphin M5 owners can chime in with their experience.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Its not as vigorous an action as muscle power with a brush, but it will eliminate your need to vacuum. You'll still need to hit the steps, and brush the pool some as a good practice but it will cut your time spent doing these things by a lot. I have not seen my vac hose since my Robot went in the pool. It's really dusty where I am, so I still knock it off with a brush, but I don't have a need to vac things out. He does all that now. Since you have leaves he will take care of a good deal of that too. Not if you let it go to where there is a large bulk you need a rake for, but you will be amazed how much work a Robot takes care of. I'm a rookie with my cleaner experience, but I'll never be without my Robot if I can help it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Its not as vigorous an action as muscle power with a brush, but it will eliminate your need to vacuum. You'll still need to hit the steps, and brush the pool some as a good practice but it will cut your time spent doing these things by a lot. I have not seen my vac hose since my Robot went in the pool. It's really dusty where I am, so I still knock it off with a brush, but I don't have a need to vac things out. He does all that now. Since you have leaves he will take care of a good deal of that too. Not if you let it go to where there is a large bulk you need a rake for, but you will be amazed how much work a Robot takes care of. I'm a rookie with my cleaner experience, but I'll never be without my Robot if I can help it.
    Sounds like my experience.

I probably should give the pool a good brushing but our M5 has me out of the habit. Due to the pollen and rain I have found that I have had to brush the waterline a few times due to a line above where the robot can clean when I drop the level.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for the comments and input. Sounds like I will keep my flat brush and Wall Whale for the occasional brush job.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.