High Copper Levels and Stains

ZMMom

Apr 18, 2015
League City, TX
Hello,
I am new here. I took care of my pool myself for 5 years. 6 months ago I turned it over to a pool company for chemicals only. I don't know if it is related, but I just noticed an overall brownish stain on my plaster. I took my water to have it tested. Results are:
FC: 4.5
CC: -
pH: 7.8
Alk: 71
CYA: 60
Copper: 1.5
Iron: .1
TDS:-
Phos: -

I have not had algae problems. I use city water. Pool is starting its 6th season this summer. Filter and Pump are 2 years old. Polaris and polaris pump are original. No heater.

What should my course of action be?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to drain the water and refill the pool to get rid of the copper. If you don't want to drain the pool you can manage with the copper in the water but you will need to use a sequestrant on a regular basis and carefully monitor your FC and ph levels. In either case to get rid of the stains you will probably need to do an acid wash.

Find out what the pool company has done to your pool. Do they use copper based algaecide? Did they add a mineral pack? If it was a mineral pack, remove it.

Welcome to TFP!

Keep in mind that pool store testing is not especially reliable. A copper level of 1.5 is fairly bad, copper needs to be below 0.3 to be safe. Hopefully the test result is wrong and it is actually lower than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.