Hayward Single Speed Pump to 2-speed

Apr 18, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hi Everyone,

My Hayward Single Speed Pump motor is really really loud and I assume that water got into it and it's shot. I took off the motor and am thinking of replacing it with something else. Can I replace the single speed motor with a 2-speed? If so, does anyone know which pump motor it is? Here are some details:

Pump Motor: US Motors 1081 EUST1152 Pool Pump Motor 1.5 HP Hayward
Pump: Hayward SP2610X15 (1.5HP)

Are there better options to switch to? I'd rather not change the plumbing.

Thanks!

Yes, you can and should change from single speed to two speed. Changing the motor only is fine, if you are happy with your water flow you should get the same size motor you have now, 2 speed version.

The motor you have is actually one size larger than the original that came on the pump. Did you replace it? You might double check the impeller part # to make sure the impeller was not upsized as well. If so, you will need a STS1152R motor, otherwise you want a STS1102RV1.

Thanks pooldv and mas985! I didn't replace that one but figured it was some kind of aftermarket one. I bought the house about 3 years ago now and still adjusting to the joys and rigors of a pool. Thanks for the STS1102RV1 model suggestion. I noticed that one is 1 hp. My current motor is 1.5hp. Does it matter?

mas985 is the pump expert around here, so his answer should be correct :)

What you need to match on a replacement motor is not the listed HP, but instead the SFHP (SF times HP). The Hayward SP2610X15 originally came with a motor with a 1.5 SFHP. The STS1102RV1 also has an SFHP of 1.5. So that swap should be fine.

The only exception would be if the impeller was replaced on the pump when the previous replacement motor was installed. That seems very unlikely. You can double check that when you have the motor removed from the pump by checking the part number on the impeller. However, assuming it still has the original impeller seems reasonably safe.

Thanks! I've updated my sig though I don't know all the acronyms yet.

The impeller is SP2610-C which is actually supposed to be for the 1hp, the SP2615-C is for 1.5 hp. So I think I should be fine there. I plan on getting a new drive seal since I have it all open anyway.

I'm assuming that I can still use my automatic control system with the 2-speed if I wire it correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.