Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid - Dry or Liquid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Acid - Dry or Liquid?

Do people generally prefer dry or liquid acid to adjust pH levels, etc.? I've been using liquid acid for 7 years, but if you happen to take a breath while pouring it in, it's not the most pleasant thing in the world! I've never tried the dry type. Also, is the dry acid typically more expensive?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid - Dry or Liquid?

Muriatic acid (liquid) is a bit more annoying to handle, but it is way less expensive, and also doesn't add anything you don't want in the pool. Dry acid adds sulfates. At low or medium levels sulfates aren't a problem, but if they build up to a high enough level they can cause problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks for the info.

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid. It can be annoying if they wind is blowing the wrong direction. I always take note of the wind direction nod stand upwind of the pour. I usually pour into a glass jar (for measurement purposes) and then to the pool.

I do a 1 quart weekly dose as part of a system to keep my ph under control. The SWG causes it to creep up.

Never tried dry, the price is a killer.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been using the liquid muriatic acid at just over $8.00 a gallon from my local Ace Hardware store. I can get it $1 cheaper at larger stores but that means a 45 minute round-trip for me. I just bought PH Minus at Walmart for $11.00. All things being equal, I may be willing to pay the extra $3 for the convenience of the dry but I haven't calculated the dosage amounts to get a true cost comparison.
    16x30, 12,500 gal. IG gunite/plaster with 60% quartz; Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp 2 speed pump & .75 hp booster pump; SmartPure ozone generator; Hayward C6060 SwimClear Microban cartridge filter; Hayward Ecommand HPC-4Controller; Pentair chlorine feeder; Polaris 280 robo vac. All installed Aug. 2014. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

You need roughly 11 lbs of dry acid to equal one gallon of 31.45% muriatic acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

What do sulfates in the water cause?
    20 year old 19K gallon IG vinyl pool (new liner in 2014)
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump, VariFlow XL valve, sand filter
    AquaGenie skimmer, TF-100 test kit
    TroubleFree since 2014!

8. Back To Top    #8

Low and medium sulfate levels are fine. Very high sulfate levels can damage SWG cell plates and plaster surfaces.

9. Back To Top    #9

Whatever you do, don't buy the low fume eco=green version of liquid MA as it is half strength and not worth dealing with IMO. Do consider and research storage of liquid MA. Depending on the container it is in it can gas off in storage and rust nearby metals, as you may have noticed after years of using it.

See if you can buy liquid MA cheaper at a local paint supply shop or from a concrete jobber shop.

As to the fumes, try lowering the jug into the water down wind and pouring it from the mouth of the bottle just a few inches from the surface of the pool.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

10. Back To Top    #10

if only they had marked quantity lines on those MA containers ... can i safely measure it in a Waalmart clear plastic measuring cup? test.jpg
    TX/Dallas | 18K ? gal. | Plaster | Jandy valves, Jandy panel, Aqualink RS4
    Pentair Challenger Fixed 2hp | SWG AquaPure PLC1400*repl 2015 | Pentair Clean & Clear 420
    ThePoolCleaner 2wheels

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, that will work fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by zacc44 View Post
    if only they had marked quantity lines on those MA containers ... can i safely measure it in a Waalmart clear plastic measuring cup? test.jpg
    I use a similar one. It's great when you can see the graduations from inside and above. Then you can hold it out over the water and pour far away from your nose and still measure accurately.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!