Will this pump work to replace my existing?

May 29, 2012
I have a 22,000 gallon gunite pool with one jet at the shallow end and one skimmer return. The main drain has been sealed. It's all 1.5" piping. The filter is a Hayward sand filter: S270T. Right now I have a hayward super pump with an AO Smith motor with the following label:
20140517_104713.jpg
I'm pretty happy with its performance, but it's starting to get really loud leak, even after replacing the seal last season.

I'm thinking of replacing with a Pentair Superflow 3/4 hp 340037.
Some stats here:
http://www.poolcenter.com/p/pentair-superflo-swimming-pool-pump

Would this pump work for a replacement? Any other suggestions in the $300 neighborhood price range?

Thanks!

If you are replacing the entire pump that will work. However, you will be save money in the long run by getting a 1 HP two speed rather than a 3/4 HP single speed. Two speed pumps save roughly half of the electricity compared to a single speed.

I generally run the pump 6 hrs a day on weekdays and 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday morning to let the pool heater do its thing. I'm in NJ also, so my pool season is usually about 4 months. When I've looked into two speed pumps, it generally seems it would take a long time for me to see enough savings to make back my initial investment, and the return seems to coincide with the useful life of the pump. Right now Pool and Spa Supply has this pump for $269 with free shipping. Let me know if I haven't thought this through though.

Unless the new pump breaks unusually early in it's life, or low speed won't work with your heater (it usually will, but might not), the two speed will cost less over it's lifetime. The lifetime cost difference won't be huge, and you do need to spend more up front to get it, so it may or may not be worth it for you.

At 6 hours per day, you will save about 150 kwh per month on low speed vs high speed or about $15/mo savings @ $0.10/kwh so it won't take that long for the two speed to pay for itself. You can also just replace the motor of your current pump so you don't have to deal with plumbing changes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.