Replacing Solar Valve -- How much to do?

mgill

Apr 20, 2012
Morgan Hill, CA
Hello,

Thanks to everyone for all their help here. Its my go to when I'm embarking on new work with my pool!

The valve for my solar system has broken, and compool/pentair no longer stocks the parts I need to fix in place. So I need to plumb in a new valve. My system is about 15 years old, I'm looking for hints on how far to go while replacing stuff. I'll ask my specific questions first and then describe my setup.

Questions
  1. I believe the replacement valve I need is a Pentair 263047, located here. Anyone have any negative history with this valve? This model number is the solar one with the drain down.
  2. I'll be plumbing close to two different check valves in the system - should I just replace those while Im in there given their age? Or should I let them be unless I'm aware of them having a specific issue?
  3. My equipment is mostly above water level (raised hot tub), and the area of work for this fix is all entirely above the water level. Would there be any advantages for installing isolation valves inline in this area of the plumbing?? There are a few other spots where I think I'd like to have them but at the solar junctions I'm not sure there are.
  4. Finally, this is my first dive into working with the PVC of my pool setup. Any specific hints or tricks? Was going to get standard 2 inch at the local Home Depot with the standard primer/cement setup.

My Solar setup:

The valve Im replacing will have an actuator on it - its controlled by a Compool LX220 setup. The supply side path is check valve to the the solar valve, and the solar valve either routes to the solar panels or a bypass that renters the system after the retun check valve. The return side comes down the wall from the panels through a check valve, then joines with the bypass then on into the system.

I think thats everything relevant to the setup. Ive attached a couple pics - although its a hard angle to see everything as the pipes overlay each other. Sorry for the pic size - just realized they dont scale down. Right click on them and open them in a new browser window and they should scale so you can see the entire pic.

Thanks everyone. Happy Saturday!

This first shot is the backside of the dead solar valve. You can see the check valve on the return side and the three pipes connected to the valve. The check valve on the supply side ahead of the solar valve is not visible.
2015-04-18%2011.35.35.jpg

Side view - you can now see the check valve on the supply side coming up and into the bottom of the valve thats being replaced.
2015-04-18%2011.36.04.jpg

I've had that valve for at least 2 years, no issues. I would replace the check valves also, while you're there. I would skip extra isolation valves.

Working with pvc, measure three times, test fit, mark your joints with 1, 2, 3, hashmarks so you can get the pipe and joint back to the same angle. After gluing hold the joint for 20-30 seconds so it can set and not squeeze out. Get some fine sandpaper to clean up the pipe burrs after you cut it.

Welcome to TFP! Here is some info on updating your signature, What we need to know to answer your questions

Thank you. Building my profile - the info will all be in there soon.

I will replace the check vavles too with some Jandy 7305s. Will be a nice improvement to be able to see inside and validate that they are in fact working. I'll post an update when Im done - will be one of the upcoming weekends.

They are indeed cool. Huge upgrade from my old ones that I couldn't see through. I'm also very happy about now having serviceable internals in the check valves.

Project is complete - just fired up the pool and no leaks! Went to attach the actuator to get the solar valve running again but the actuator is toast. I was thinking that might be the case - the old compool valve got hung up and I think the actuator burned itself out. Thats an easy fix though.

Overall took me about 5 hours - as this is not my day job. :D But thanks to the forums for the help - much appreciated. Now that Ive done my first major plumbing project on my pool I'm eyeing the other area that has driven me nuts for years - will post some questions about that when I'm ready to work on it.

Thanks again everyone - have a great summer! Mark

2015-04-25%2016.04.59.jpg

2015-04-25%2016.05.13.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.