pump won't run at 70+ degrees F

Apr 18, 2015
AZ
Hello I am new here and need help and I know I am missing some information but I just bought this house and pool so I have what I have and that's it:

I have a Jandy Plus HP Pump. At closing, I was told the pump had run dry and had to be replaced but the good news was I was getting a brand new $800 pump. I got here and what I have is what I suspect to be a grossly undersized and extremely cheap replacement motor bolted onto the Jandy pump and well it runs ok under 60 degrees F, as soon as the ambient temp hits 70 degrees F, it overheats and shuts off and then only cycles on and off. I never saw the original motor but the I do have the paperwork for the pool which is only 4 years old and the quote and the spec sheet both state 1 1/2 HP Jandy 2 speed motor. The problem is I do not have the SF or SFHP off the original motor.

I do have all the information off the motor which malfunctions under normal summer temperatures:

US Motors 1081 Pool Motor Extreme-E
Cat EB982
M/N R63CXDMZ-194
HP 1.0/1.6
SF 1.65
230V
SF AMPS 8.0/2.9
SFHP 1.65/0.26

What I am desperately hoping is that I can replace this motor with whatever it should have been and not have to replace the entire pump. Is this likely to solve the problem? Is there someplace I can get the SF for the original motor?

This hasn't been a problem in winter but there is inline chlorination so I will need to run the pump during the day pretty soon I have reason to suspect the replacement motor since the other repair work was done in a very shoddy manner. For that reason I am afraid to call any local company for help in fear they might be the ones who did the very bad repair in the first place! I also would prefer not to mess around with impellers and capacitors. If this is the wrong motor, I just want to buy the right one so i can enjoy the pool.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

The motor is undersized for the impeller. The easiest and cheapest solution would be to get the impeller for the 1 hp model. The 1.5 hp model is probably way too big for your pool and would be a huge waste of money for electricity. What are the specs on your pool and equipment?

I honestly would rather get the system back to the original spec and from other posts, this brand of motor seems very cheap and not worth the bother anyway. If I get a good 1.5/2.0 230V motor do I have to worry about the original SF which I do not have?

What I have is an in-ground residential Cameo AZ play pool 3-5.5' deep odd kidney shaped overall 14x36' Pebble Tec finish with 6" Tile at waterline and acrylic lace deck.
Jandy Plus HP pump with malfunctioning 1.0/1.6 SF 1.65 replacement motor, Jandy CL340 filter, Jandy E1 salt gen, Pentair Creepy Crawly with leaf canister for cleaning. The original cleaner was a Polaris ATV which was stolen during closing on the house so I had to buy a whole new cleaner.

In addition to the cleaner I have so far replaced the cracked lid on the pump basket, the entire E1 chlorinator which was broken off, laying on the ground with the plumbing capped off (thankfully the control box still works), the outlet plumbing to add back in the chlorinator and the aerator, the plumbing of which was sawed off at ground level missing the pipes and the valve (nice bonus to the bad the motor replacement job), all new filters in the filter, a new filter manifold the one in there was smashed, a new breather tube and drain cap for the filter. Everything is dry no wet or air leaks. The pool has 2 bottom drains, a skimmer basket and 4 returns and possibly a fitting hole in the top stair for a PV3 pop up cleaner which is missing entirely if that was what was there. It auto fills and is currently filled to the calcium line.
PoolAfter_zpsu82wxoni.jpg

Aerator_zpswihuezwp.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Can you post the pump model number? The pump model number should be on the pump.

What motor manufacturer do you want to go with?

In my opinion, most motors are not very good quality. Most manufacturers have been bought by a few companies in an effort to consolidate and cut costs. The materials and workmanship are not very good.

Can you post the pump model number? The pump model number should be on the pump.

What motor manufacturer do you want to go with?

In my opinion, most motors are not very good quality. Most manufacturers have been bought by a few companies in an effort to consolidate and cut costs. The materials and workmanship are not very good.

All I can find on the pump is on the HP PLUS HP sticker it says No 108 then there is a number 9500917. I can't find a M/N or S/N sticker anywhere. I've got all the Jandy PDFs and they just won't give the SF for the motor :( I think the Jandy part is R0445106 and the generic part number is B983.

So far I am looking at the AOE Smith CAT NO B2983 E-Plus 2-spd at just over $300 I'm thinking that's good? It's 1.5/1.9 and a little cheaper then the full 1.5/2.0. I don't want the new motor to be a problem too but the initial and ongoing savings are attractive in the 1.5/1.9.
This new motor would be SF 1.47 the SF is the same on the 1.5/2.0 and the 1.5/1.9. The current malfunctioning motor is SF 1.65.
The site I'm looking at says I have to pick a seal too but they don't have Jandy or Zodiac on their chart. Sigh.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most likely the original motor was a full rated motor with a S.F of about 1.5 to 1.65. If you can get the part number off of the impeller, I could tell you what motor would work.

I would still recommend just putting on a smaller impeller. That should work well for you. Even with the smaller impeller, you could probably get good results only using low speed.

Using a 1.5 hp with a sf of 1.65 gives you a total hp of 2.5. That is way oversized. It over stresses you equipment, costs more in electricity, and won't give you any benefit.

Most likely the original motor was a full rated motor with a S.F of about 1.5 to 1.65. If you can get the part number off of the impeller, I could tell you what motor would work.

I would still recommend just putting on a smaller impeller. That should work well for you. Even with the smaller impeller, you could probably get good results only using low speed.

Using a 1.5 hp with a sf of 1.65 gives you a total hp of 2.5. That is way oversized. It over stresses you equipment, costs more in electricity, and won't give you any benefit.

The chlorinator won't run on low speed it reports "No Flow" It's Southern AZ I do need to be able to run the pump on high more than 1 hour at 5 am only. I am looking at 1.5 hp 2-sp motors since that is what was on the original paper work for the pool. They paid extra for the 1.5 hp 2-sp it was an upgrade over the standard package. I'd prefer to order a motor then take it apart when it gets here but if there is some bad weather I can try taking it apart. I need to inspect the impeller for damage and wear anyway. It's warm enough already now I can only afford to have the equipment out of commission maybe 4 or 5 days tops.

A0580904 = new part number R0445304 listed for use on PlusHP PHPF 1.5 HP and PHPM 2 HP
My goal is to order the parts before noon today and have the thing back in service by Tuesday when it will be nearly 100 degrees for at least 5 days in a row.

1. I need the motor. Can I have the nice one I picked out now lol. I need it from a place that will ship promptly from west of the Mississippi.

2. I need the seal shaft(s)

3. The impeller fins are actually gouged up a bit so instead of hurting my self tyring to remove this impeller I think I will simply buy a new one. I have neither a strap wrench nor a vice tho I do have carpal tunnel so bad my right hand is numb :( The screw in it is all tore up like someone tried to get it off already.

4. I need a diffuser kit? The 2 big fat o-rings off the thing at least. They look compressed and misshapen I have the screws. The thing was on upside down assuming the molded arrow is supposed to point up.

5. I need the giant fat o-ring that seals the wet end of the pump to the front end.

Do I need special grease? I have silicone.

Is there any place to get all this or am I better getting the motor alone and the other parts from a dedicated pool part supplier???

Thank you for your help!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.