Design oversight - wall over vault for automatic cover

Rebar is in, and my pool is ready for gunite! They have been fast so far, and it looks like we could be filling up our pool in six weeks!

That said, we just hit a major (in my view) design oversight. There is a wall along teh length of my pool, and the contract with the builder included a 42" wall, where in reality it needed to be about 45". No big deal to get done afterwards, other than the fact that 9 inches over top of the 18" wide of vault for the automatic cover.

If I were to get the whole wall pulled back, then instead of having a 3.5" saftey grip at the bottom of the wall, it would be nearly 12" and the sheer decents going into the pool wouldn't look right.

So, my though, is there a way I can extend the wall across the automatic cover vault in a way that would be accessible? Perhaps an accessible panel? Would I also need to use the same sort of stainless steel brackets for the coping so it is removable?

The first picture shows the actual layout of the pool, the second shows the pool in the overall layout of our yard.

Attachments

• pool rendering.jpg
    pool rendering.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 6.58.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 6.58.29 PM.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 133
If I were to get the whole wall pulled back, then instead of having a 3.5" saftey grip at the bottom of the wall, it would be nearly 12" and the sheer decents going into the pool wouldn't look right.

Mine is exactly as you say, 12" ledge at the base of the wall, the shear descents easily clear the ledge. It is nice to be able to walk down that side of the pool without being on top of the wall. I like your design, you might consider adding another bench by the wall in the deep end, I only have one and it would have been nice to have one on both sides.

Thanks!

It was too late to move back the wall, so now I have to find a way to work around the cover.

Anyone have a brilliant idea one how to build a moveable pillar (even if it takes two guys to move it) that could sit on top of the coping over the vault, or alternatively an access "hatch".

Bobby, the way yours has steps around the side is interesting, and could prove to be another solution, could you share a photo of the steps going up behind your wall?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.