Cloudy pool and slam

Apr 30, 2014
Lumberton,nc
Ok guys I need make sure I'm doing things right. We opened pool few days ago and saw little algae. We slammed it on Thursday and the water is still little bit cloudy. Here were my readings today:
FC. 17
CC. 0.5
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 100
CH. 40
Is the high cya the reason why the water is cloudy or am I not giving this enough time?

At the same time, the common CYA test reports any CYA level over 100 as 100, so your actual CYA level might be quite a bit higher (or not).

I would lower CYA down to around 80, which would make the SLAMing process quite a bit easier.

Ok another question do I keep fc at 17 or let it start drifting back down? And as far as my pump does it still need keep running 24/7?
Thanks guys
First, re-run the CYA test using the dilution method explained in this thread. Post 8, note 9.

Second, re-read the article on the Shock Level and Maintain process. You need to get the FC level up to shock level for your CYA and keep it there until you pass all three criteria. 17 FC is not high enough if your CYA level is above 40!

If you're keeping up with testing FC & CC, you'll know when the CC is below .5. That's one of the three.

When the water is clear even after brushing, and there's nothing growing on the walls, you've passed two.

Then you run the overnight loss test. If it passes, then you allow FC to drop. If you fail, you add more bleach.

A sand filter is the slowest of all to clear the cloudiness. It can take a week or more. A lot depends on how vigorous a strain of algae you have, how religious you are with brushing it, and how often you test and replenish the chlorine. But when you're done, your pool will be so sparkly you will be the envy of all the neighbors. You'll be able to toss a quarter in the deep end and spot heads or tails from the deck.

Check out some stories of others who have done it.

The only thing that causes CYA to rise is by adding CYA or using pucks or shock with CYA. When is the last time you added? How much did you add? Did you wait a week after adding to test? It takes about a week to fully register on the test.

- - - Updated - - -

What test are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, alright! No worries, that is a good kit.

I'm trying to go back and read through to see what your CYA is. But, I'm not sure. What were the last couple of tests? When and what result?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.