Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool and slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool and slam

Ok guys I need make sure I'm doing things right. We opened pool few days ago and saw little algae. We slammed it on Thursday and the water is still little bit cloudy. Here were my readings today:
    FC. 17
    CC. 0.5
    PH 7.6
    TA 80
    CYA 100
    CH. 40
    Is the high cya the reason why the water is cloudy or am I not giving this enough time?
    23k,IG vinyl,vs Hayward pump,sand filter,SWG, built 4/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool and slam

You're not giving it enough time. The SLAM is a process that could/should take anywhere from several days to several weeks.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

At the same time, the common CYA test reports any CYA level over 100 as 100, so your actual CYA level might be quite a bit higher (or not).

I would lower CYA down to around 80, which would make the SLAMing process quite a bit easier.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok another question do I keep fc at 17 or let it start drifting back down? And as far as my pump does it still need keep running 24/7?
    Thanks guys

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by arieyellow View Post
    Ok another question do I keep fc at 17 or let it start drifting back down? And as far as my pump does it still need keep running 24/7?
    Thanks guys
    First, re-run the CYA test using the dilution method explained in this thread. Post 8, note 9.

Second, re-read the article on the Shock Level and Maintain process. You need to get the FC level up to shock level for your CYA and keep it there until you pass all three criteria. 17 FC is not high enough if your CYA level is above 40!

If you're keeping up with testing FC & CC, you'll know when the CC is below .5. That's one of the three.

When the water is clear even after brushing, and there's nothing growing on the walls, you've passed two.

Then you run the overnight loss test. If it passes, then you allow FC to drop. If you fail, you add more bleach.

A sand filter is the slowest of all to clear the cloudiness. It can take a week or more. A lot depends on how vigorous a strain of algae you have, how religious you are with brushing it, and how often you test and replenish the chlorine. But when you're done, your pool will be so sparkly you will be the envy of all the neighbors. You'll be able to toss a quarter in the deep end and spot heads or tails from the deck.

Check out some stories of others who have done it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok so basically keep the chlorine raised to shock level for now and don't worry about cya? Or do I stll need go ahead and drain pool some to lower cya while still shocking?

7. Back To Top    #7

You don't have chlorine at shock level for your CYA level. Chlorine CYA Chart. Rerun the extended CYA test per Richard's instructions, then lower CYA to around 80 per Jason's instructions, then resume SLAM by maintaining FC at shock level per this Chlorine CYA Chart.

Clear as a green pool?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok now I am understanding. What puzzles me is cya was perfect Thursday before I shocked with liquid bleach. What caused it to rise so high?

9. Back To Top    #9

The only thing that causes CYA to rise is by adding CYA or using pucks or shock with CYA. When is the last time you added? How much did you add? Did you wait a week after adding to test? It takes about a week to fully register on the test.

- - - Updated - - -

What test are you using?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by arieyellow View Post
    Ok now I am understanding. What puzzles me is cya was perfect Thursday before I shocked with liquid bleach. What caused it to rise so high?
    Yes, what test kit are you using, or are you getting it done at the pool store?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm using the fas-dpt test and the only thing added to the water before I shocked it was some kind chlorox brand stuff from walmart to up the ph.

12. Back To Top    #12

What test are you using to test CYA?
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

The one that is in that fsa-dpt kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Fas-dpd is a chlorine test, not a cya test. Is it the CYA test kit in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Sorry I was looking at the wrong name on my kit lol. I have the taylor 2006.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey, alright! No worries, that is a good kit.

I'm trying to go back and read through to see what your CYA is. But, I'm not sure. What were the last couple of tests? When and what result?
    TFP Moderator