TF-100 readings and my SLAM process

8 days, that seems like a long time. Day 1 pic did not look too bad, cloudy, but not green.

I just started my pool opening Sat just passed. First cleaned up all the big leaves and debris and then vacuumed some of the green stuff at bottom out and over pool, not through filter.

Then ran filter and vacuumed some more through filter, brushed sides. Ran overnight. Yesterday started to shock and put on creepy krawler for several hours.

Pool was fairly clear before i started it all, but now i guess things are stirred up and chlorine is breaking stuff down.

The issue i have is i'm not home all day, so i add enough chlorine and hope it does not drop too low throughout the day. When i got up this morning it was roughly 21 ppm FC and my CYA is about 50, 23000 gal pool roughly.

so i added 5 L of 10% Chlorine. That should bring it up roughly to 27ppm, shock level should be around 20PPM so hopefully it does not drop below 20ppm too much for when i get home.

Then i will rinse filter, brush sides and bottom, put on kreepy krawler and add appropriate Chlorine. Last year to get the final clarity i had to add just a little bit of clarifier since it was passing the overnight test, but just would not clear up.

I was hoping it won't take 8 days though.

8 days, that seems like a long time. Day 1 pic did not look too bad, cloudy, but not green.

I just started my pool opening Sat just passed. First cleaned up all the big leaves and debris and then vacuumed some of the green stuff at bottom out and over pool, not through filter.

Then ran filter and vacuumed some more through filter, brushed sides. Ran overnight. Yesterday started to shock and put on creepy krawler for several hours.

Pool was fairly clear before i started it all, but now i guess things are stirred up and chlorine is breaking stuff down.

The issue i have is i'm not home all day, so i add enough chlorine and hope it does not drop too low throughout the day. When i got up this morning it was roughly 21 ppm FC and my CYA is about 50, 23000 gal pool roughly.

so i added 5 L of 10% Chlorine. That should bring it up roughly to 27ppm, shock level should be around 20PPM so hopefully it does not drop below 20ppm too much for when i get home.

Then i will rinse filter, brush sides and bottom, put on kreepy krawler and add appropriate Chlorine. Last year to get the final clarity i had to add just a little bit of clarifier since it was passing the overnight test, but just would not clear up.

I was hoping it won't take 8 days though.

There were a lot of pine needles on the bottom my auto vac cleaned up the first around day 5 I think. There is a pic of that. I did not know they were down there. I could not see the bottom of the pool. 8 days does not seem long to me. Some people have taken over a month. Now that I can see the bottom clearly it should speed up. My chlorine is still being eaten by something besides the sun or it would not drop as much as it does. During the day I am usually home, but if I know I won't be here I chose to really bump up my shock level to around 40 so I knew it would stay above my shock level for the slam.
Just remember the 3 criteria for a SLAM. First being no large FC ppm loss at any time. You will lose move during the day to the UV Rays from the sun. Also pool needs to be crystal clear and pass a overnight FC loss test. You don't want to loose more than 1ppm overnight if I recall correctly and you need to have a CC of .5 or less before the slam can be considered done.
I still have FC loss and a CC of 2 even though I can see the bottom now.

From pool school:
You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think Mine this spring will be much quicker than last opening it up. Perhaps because i closed later when it was cold??

Anyhow it is almost clear and i basically started the SLAM on Sunday. Tonight I'm going to do OCLT and see what is happening.

Water is really cold, not sure if that makes it easier? less algae growth?

I think Mine this spring will be much quicker than last opening it up. Perhaps because i closed later when it was cold??

Anyhow it is almost clear and i basically started the SLAM on Sunday. Tonight I'm going to do OCLT and see what is happening.

Water is really cold, not sure if that makes it easier? less algae growth?

Glad it is clearing up already. I think algae can thrive in warmer water too, that is why I have not had my solar cover on during this process. Also our pool was a cloudy blue last fall. I did not know that the water should always have great clarity and did not do anything to close it or even run the filter all winter. That is why I think mine is taking longer. I did a OLCT last night and lost 2ppm. I will check my CC later today.

Brushed down the walls and bottom of pool really good. Have auto cleaner running to pick up a few particles of sand and a 1/4 inch piece of twig I cannot get with the net. It is looking pretty! I will try to add some more DE today before I have to leave for 12:30pm appt.

Glad it is clearing up already. I think algae can thrive in warmer water too, that is why I have not had my solar cover on during this process. Also our pool was a cloudy blue last fall. I did not know that the water should always have great clarity and did not do anything to close it or even run the filter all winter. That is why I think mine is taking longer. I did a OLCT last night and lost 2ppm. I will check my CC later today.

That is surprising you are still getting an OLCT loss of 2ppm. Your FC is kept at or above Shock level all this time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.