Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help with taking pump basket filter lid off

1. Back To Top    #1

help with taking pump basket filter lid off

Hey team, I have a Hayward pool pump, the clear fulte basket has a lid on it. I've noticed some water around the pool pump after running all day. I want to take the clear lid over the pump filter off however it will not. Used a 2x4 , hammer etc. Any ideas? I believe this can be why I have some air comming thru the jets in the pool as well. Any help would be great.
    13000 gal IG
    Hayward pump 1 1/2 hp
    Hayward star clear plus filter system (DE)
    Attached spa
    Covered lanai

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help with taking pump basket filter lid off

I'm going to assume the pump is turned off, but I have to ask.....

Did you open the drain plug to relieve any pressure it may be holding?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Try turning the lid with the pump on.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Check this thread. If it's what I am guessing, you'll like the picture in one of my replies.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Lol I don't have a fork like that. I am going to try again tonight or just break it open and buy a new one. I'll probably need a new gasket. Its frozen bad

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ms506s View Post
    Lol I don't have a fork like that. I am going to try again tonight or just break it open and buy a new one. I'll probably need a new gasket. Its frozen bad
    Check the neighbors for a spading fork. Also, the pool store may have the wrench for that, and it's probably cheaper than a new lid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah the wrench is 25 bucks. I may try it
    13000 gal IG
    Hayward pump 1 1/2 hp
    Hayward star clear plus filter system (DE)
    Attached spa
    Covered lanai

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ms506s View Post
    Again, try turning it with the pump running. It sometimes works.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

To help I would need to know the model of Hayward pump. Super II, Super, Max Flo, TriStar, EcoStar, Power Flo Matrix Etc, Etc.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com