To close or not?

I'm about to become a new pool owner, they dig next week. Just wondering if I should fill the pool to the normal depth and stabilize the water condition before closing which will be costing more in water and chemicals to have to drain it down in a few weeks. Or just fill to below the returns and cover for the winter. Just wondering if i will have a very hard time gaining water quality in the spring with out it being good to close. My chance of swimming in it is very slim being it's going down to 40f at night, the heater would need to run alot. If i just fill to the returns and cover what chemicals should i put in.
Some are wondering why put the pool in now? Cheaper and ready to go come spring.
Any help would be great.

18x38x28 Full L Vinyl liner
SWG
Gas heat

With vinyl you can go either way. Most people want to see the pool full, but if that isn't an issue for you then just fill to the winterizing level and close. Spring startup will be a little more work but nothing serious.

Good point Tiz! It all depends on if he'll have a solid cover - no sunlight through cover = no UV degradation of the cl.

I would have them wait until next spring to cut out the returns, etc. if you don't cut them out there is no way for water to get in, freeze and cause damage :!:

Without the pump running it will be very difficult to add any chemicals to the pool, though it could be done. But if he closes with a solid cover right off he doesn't need to add anything to the pool. As long as the TA and CH levels in the fill water are not too high and there isn't any iron in the fill water he can close with straight tap water and deal with balancing levels in the spring. Yes, the pool will probably have some algae come spring, but that is easily handled.

I will be covering it with a Black winter tarp and water bags for this year because the concrete patio will be poured in the spring. You guys are not making this decision very easy with mixed thoughts. I'm not worried about the cost of water in draining some(water here is cheap) Just wondering about taking the cover off to a huge mess as i've never had a pool and only know what i've read on here. I should not get much algae growth due to the water only being 30F, might go to 40 or 50. Sounds like if i get it all stabilized now it may be easier when opening other than I need to blow everything out. If i fill the pool will the chemicals be affective at these temps? But if it's going to cost alot in chemicals to just put the cover on and have to do it all in the spring again that seems like a waste?
Thanks alot I'm getting alot more info here than from the pool builder.

Actually we're all on ~ the same page (we're just nitpicking amongst ourselves :lol: ) if you have a solid cover and it goes on soon after the pool is filled, you shouldn't have any problems (as I said, if this is the case wait to cut out the returns, etc until spring - that way you don't have to worry about blowing out the lines or adding antifreeze because no water has ever been in those lines). While the pool is filling ( with a solid cover, you can take it all the way up to operational level) add some bleach to the flowing water to kill anything that might be in the water or enter the pool while it's filling. What is the fill source? if it's city water, the pH should be good, if not, test the water before adding it and use the calculator (in my sig) to bring it to normal levels. Circulation from the fill water should be enough to allow any chem additions, if the chems are added while the pool is filling aand they aren't too concentrated.

In short: have the cover ready to go on as soon as the pool is filled, add any chems while it's filling and stabilizer isn't an issue until next spring when you open the pool 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.