Searching for a fitting...

May 6, 2013
I'm trying to make a hot water fill for a customer. He has an existing water spigot, and I'm trying to run CPVC from that location to another valve about 20 feet away.

Problem is that every 3/4 fitting I try does not seal adequately with the spigot - it always drips. Hose fittings; pvc to water hose adapter; 3/4 brass fittings ; 5/8 fittings ; with washers ; without washers . You get the idea. The rest of the plumbing is fine , but I've emptied my tool boxes and most of the part bins on this one connection with no success

Any ideas ????

I don't think so.

Water hose connections are not a thread seal, so I wouldn't agree its a thread problem. If there is enough thread to screw the fittings together tightly, the seal will be made on the face and gasket.

Never had a problem with a hose to NPT conversion.

After further investigating --- And thanks for all your replies, everyone was so helpful! ---

I think that this spigot is simply an oddball -- I am going to try a few more tricks, but I may end up just replacing the spigot. I will update with solution...

Can't emphasize enough how helpful you all were - I was too busy to reply during the day - but, this forum rocks! :cool:

I've seen situations where the hose fitting nut threads onto the bib, but it's leading edge of the nut hits a part of the casting and prevents the nut from fully tightening even though it feels like it tightened. The rubber washer isn't fully compressed and you get a leak. The casting interference from the faucet is usually on the underside so you have to bend down and look carefully from a low angle. I've only seen that problem on oddball faucets but that may be what you have. Use a file to clear away the interference and get that nut to tighten further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.