Liner Leaked 1 Small Hole in Steel Wall by Track

Repair or Not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 5, 2015
farmingdale NY
Hello all . The liner has a hole where the tracks meet causing the rust in this one spot . The result is I have2 small holes at bottom of pool where the track meets and a tiny pice of the track rotted. is this a fix that can be done with a patch. I am handy and have people who support doing this fix but others say i should buy a new pool and its dangerous . Notice in the pics this is the only rotted area and its in front of the post so im thinking it wont burst.
The 3rd pic is to show the condition of the rest of the pool. Also the white is from me painting.
any opinions welcome before i go buy a pool that is not necessary. the pool was new in 2005

Attachments

• pool pic.jpg
    pool pic.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Re: liner leaked 1 small hole by track

My take is that things are fine for the moment, but that if the leak continues for another year there could be problems. I am assuming that the metal around the hole is reasonably solid and not on the verge of crumbling away. It should be possible to patch the liner to avoid further degradation.

Re: liner leaked 1 small hole by track

My take is that things are fine for the moment, but that if the leak continues for another year there could be problems. I am assuming that the metal around the hole is reasonably solid and not on the verge of crumbling away. It should be possible to patch the liner to avoid further degradation.

the leak will not continue because i would be having a new liner installed.I would patch the steel wall or fill with epoxy before installing new liner.

I would skip the epoxy n go with the steel patch just because it would offer more support if It would want to buckle out due to a weak spot. The water is going to create a lot of pressure on the epoxied area that a steel plate would just be better IMO.

I would patch it with a steel patch. Make sure to smooth out the edges so there are no sharp parts (bondo maybe??). And what about using the foam cove before installing a new liner???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I am not an engineer - OK I am, but not one qualified to analyze your pool - I would repair that. I would patch it from the inside, with a good sized (maybe 1' by 1') square of metal, that I epoxied over the hole (after removing all rust / naval jelly, priming). I would grind the edges of the metal patch smooth before putting it on, and then would add foam cove and wall foam as added protection against it poking thought the liner. That is what I would do.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 15'x30' AGP, age unknown but I'll guess 15 to 20 years old. In the Spring of 2011 I replaced the liner. After removing the old liner I discovered many small rust holes near the base of the wall around the entire perimeter. They were all around 1/8" diameter. I estimate there were around 200 holes.

My fix was a bit overkill. I cleaned the areas with paint thinner then spray painted with Rust-Oleum inside and out. Then I applied a small amount of NP-1 polyurethane sealant to close the holes. My next step was installing 26 gauge G90 galvanized sheet metal around the entire perimeter, but only half way up, I used 48" wide sheets cut in half. I then used a sprayer to paint the entire inside wall with Rust-Oleum. I then caulked the top edge of the new metal with a thin bead of NP-1. Foam was glued to the metal wall before the new liner was installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.