Pump sizing question

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
I did some searching, found a number of threads on this exact topic and the overwhelming advice seems to be go smaller not bigger.

My pool is 33x22, average 5 foot deep, I plan on doing two skimmers and two (maybe three returns). No pool vac, no waterfalls, no spa.

Unfortunately I bought a Hayward super II pump 2hp sometime ago in anticipation, and I was recently advised that is likely too big. He recommended a 1.5hp or even a 1hp. I've been searching online for just the 1.5hp motor replacement, so I can re-use the pump I have, but replace the motor. I bought it mid last year so I cannot return it, but can I just swap out the motors, assuming I find a comparable 'Hayward Super II' motor 1.5hp?

Anything else I should consider? :wave:

I recommend a 1 HP two speed motor. A two speed can save you a great deal on electricity, and all a plain pool really needs is 1 HP.

To change the HP, you need to replace both the motor and the impeller. Replacing just the motor with a smaller motor will cause the pump to overheat and fail. It is fairly easy to replace the impeller was well, since you need to remove it and reinstall it as part of replacing the motor.

Any time you disassemble the motor from the pump you also need to replace the shaft seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.