Cover Off to Let Rain Fill, Will that Be A Problem?

deanr

Bronze Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Wadsworth, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I generally don't open my pool here in northern OH until after Memorial Day. At that point, I need to add about ~1ft of well water to my 27ft AGP. Problem is my well water is high CH (800), high TA (500), high iron. I'm considering removing the cover early (now) and let the rain fill the pool between now and summer. That should reduce stress on my well, and give me better quality water.

Since the water level is below the skimmer, I can't run the pump during this time, unless I first fill the pool, which kind of defeats the purpose. My question is will leaving the pool uncovered during this time (while weather is still cool, and water will be as well) be inviting a big algae problem since there will be no filter/pump running?

A couple options I thought of
1) Add Polyquat 60 when I remove the cover, hoping it will be enough even though the pump won't be running
2) Put on my clear solar cover. Perhaps this would be enough to minimize sunlight enough to slow down the algae in this cooler weather.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dean

Are you also saving the water from your cover? Because I would if in your position.

Using a pool cover pump is a good way to continuously transfer rain water from cover to pool. They're automatic, and by leaving an opaque cover in place, you'll minimize the debris and chlorine destroying light your pool is exposed to.

I got as much debris off my cover as I could and drained the cover into the pool. I was still about 8" short so I added about a gallon of bleach and brushed the whole pool. Then let the thunderstorms fill it up. Once they passed, i was about 1"-2" low so i just filled the rest with the hose.

I had my cover off for about a week with no pump running and my water is still crystal clear. If you are going to leave it off for a long time, i'd add bleach every 2 or 3 days and brush it real good to stir it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.