Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover Off to Let Rain Fill, Will that Be A Problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover Off to Let Rain Fill, Will that Be A Problem?

Hello,

I generally don't open my pool here in northern OH until after Memorial Day. At that point, I need to add about ~1ft of well water to my 27ft AGP. Problem is my well water is high CH (800), high TA (500), high iron. I'm considering removing the cover early (now) and let the rain fill the pool between now and summer. That should reduce stress on my well, and give me better quality water.

Since the water level is below the skimmer, I can't run the pump during this time, unless I first fill the pool, which kind of defeats the purpose. My question is will leaving the pool uncovered during this time (while weather is still cool, and water will be as well) be inviting a big algae problem since there will be no filter/pump running?

A couple options I thought of
    1) Add Polyquat 60 when I remove the cover, hoping it will be enough even though the pump won't be running
    2) Put on my clear solar cover. Perhaps this would be enough to minimize sunlight enough to slow down the algae in this cooler weather.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Dean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover Off to Let Rain Fill, Will that Be A Problem?

I would add enough bleach to get it up around shock level for your CYA level and stir it up with a brush or net.

Here is some info on updating your signature with your pool info, What we need to know to answer your questions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I love rainwater. In my quest to get my CYA down I have a hose off one of the gutter downspouts draining into the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you also saving the water from your cover? Because I would if in your position.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

If your other fill water option has those properties it cannot hurt. I am with pooldv. Get some bleach or LC in there and let it fill.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 to all the above
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Using a pool cover pump is a good way to continuously transfer rain water from cover to pool. They're automatic, and by leaving an opaque cover in place, you'll minimize the debris and chlorine destroying light your pool is exposed to.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

Perfect, thanks everyone!
    Dean
    27' AG Round, 17,500 gal (came with the house)
    Vinyl Liner
    Cartridge Filter, two speed Jacuzzi pump, unknown HP
    Taylor K2006

9. Back To Top    #9

I got as much debris off my cover as I could and drained the cover into the pool. I was still about 8" short so I added about a gallon of bleach and brushed the whole pool. Then let the thunderstorms fill it up. Once they passed, i was about 1"-2" low so i just filled the rest with the hose.

I had my cover off for about a week with no pump running and my water is still crystal clear. If you are going to leave it off for a long time, i'd add bleach every 2 or 3 days and brush it real good to stir it up.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM