Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hello,

I had to remove the salt generator to clean it(another issue) and I think I may have knocked something loose. Now the black piece going into the filter seems loose. No matter which way I screw it I can't get it to stop leaking water when I turn the pool back on. I'ts not just a leak the the water is coming out bad. I will attach 2 pictures so you can see the setup. The close-up one of the black piece(not sure what it's called) is what won't screw in and is leaking at the opening to the filter. Any idea what I did and how can I fix this?

Thank you,
Julie

Attachments

• 20150417_185122.jpg
    20150417_185122.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150417_185146.jpg
    20150417_185146.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi Julie,
yikes! I hope we can easily fix your leak. That black thing you say is leaking, is called a Union.
There is a rubber O Ring inside there and the O ring should seal off the water flow when you tighten down the nut. The nut is the part you turn to tighten it up.
If the O ring isnt seated properly then it will leak bad. There is a groove in there that the rubber O ring seats in.

Also, we recommend to use a silicone based lubricant to lube up o rings before putting it all back together. The lube helps keep the o ring in good shape and assists in being able to tighten the nut.

That is the first thing i would check

The next thing, is that it may be that you simply did not tighten the nut tight enough? The have to be pretty snug. If you have a big pair of channel lock pliers, that should do the trick, but dont over-tighten.

The SWG might be pulling it out of alignment, which might make the nut hard to get started. It might be easier to remove the SWG, get the union at the filter tightened down, and then put the SWG back in more carefully than last time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.