Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Fitting into Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Fitting into Filter

Hello,

I had to remove the salt generator to clean it(another issue) and I think I may have knocked something loose. Now the black piece going into the filter seems loose. No matter which way I screw it I can't get it to stop leaking water when I turn the pool back on. I'ts not just a leak the the water is coming out bad. I will attach 2 pictures so you can see the setup. The close-up one of the black piece(not sure what it's called) is what won't screw in and is leaking at the opening to the filter. Any idea what I did and how can I fix this?

Thank you,
    Julie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,900, IN, plaster, Pentair Clean&Clear 200 SqFt model #160318 150 GPM,
    Pentair 3HP variable spd 011018, Build date: 03/28/2014, SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Fitting into Filter

Hi Julie,
    yikes! I hope we can easily fix your leak. That black thing you say is leaking, is called a Union.
    There is a rubber O Ring inside there and the O ring should seal off the water flow when you tighten down the nut. The nut is the part you turn to tighten it up.
    If the O ring isnt seated properly then it will leak bad. There is a groove in there that the rubber O ring seats in.

Also, we recommend to use a silicone based lubricant to lube up o rings before putting it all back together. The lube helps keep the o ring in good shape and assists in being able to tighten the nut.

That is the first thing i would check

The next thing, is that it may be that you simply did not tighten the nut tight enough? The have to be pretty snug. If you have a big pair of channel lock pliers, that should do the trick, but dont over-tighten.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

The SWG might be pulling it out of alignment, which might make the nut hard to get started. It might be easier to remove the SWG, get the union at the filter tightened down, and then put the SWG back in more carefully than last time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup. Jason makes a good point there.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. I will work on this today.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks again. I took off the Salt water generator again and was able to get the pipe in place better. Still seemed to have alot of lubricate. No more leaking!

7. Back To Top    #7

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Excellent! Glad you got it fixed!
    Divin Dave,