Couple questions on build and design.

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'll be building my island over a paved deck, do I still need to use decking boards?

I'm drawing out my layout and when I spec in the cut out for the appliances, I assume the cut out is the frame + the counter materials? So if it calls for a 10" height cutout that would include the counter top?

And for doors, generally, how much space do I need to give for the lips? Is 1.5" from floor to opening good enough?

Lastly, do I need to enclose the cut out boxes and just leave the opening based on MFG min spec or is it ok just to keep it wide open?

I'll be building my island over a paved deck, do I still need to use decking boards?

I'm drawing out my layout and when I spec in the cut out for the appliances, I assume the cut out is the frame + the counter materials? So if it calls for a 10" height cutout that would include the counter top?

And for doors, generally, how much space do I need to give for the lips? Is 1.5" from floor to opening good enough?

Lastly, do I need to enclose the cut out boxes and just leave the opening based on MFG min spec or is it ok just to keep it wide open?

Regarding your first question:
I used Trex decking boards to keep the steel studs off the cement so the studs wouldn't be sitting in water and rusting. I also used Trex boards to allow for gaps under the grill to allow water to flow under the grill.

Decking boards (trex) are too keep the studs off the bottom and out of any water. I would use them. You can rip them if you have proper tools. Anything like a Trex under will work.

I didn't worry about compensating for the 1/2" height in mine.

Cut out height is everything, yes. Frame and countertop thickness.

The door bottom lip height above floor is personal preference. Take into consideration your exterior covering. If you are using something hard to cut or apply you may need more of a gap.

Have you seen my build thread? I go though a lot of these issues with pictures and sketches. Link is in my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.