Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple questions on build and design.

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple questions on build and design.

I'll be building my island over a paved deck, do I still need to use decking boards?

I'm drawing out my layout and when I spec in the cut out for the appliances, I assume the cut out is the frame + the counter materials? So if it calls for a 10" height cutout that would include the counter top?

And for doors, generally, how much space do I need to give for the lips? Is 1.5" from floor to opening good enough?

Lastly, do I need to enclose the cut out boxes and just leave the opening based on MFG min spec or is it ok just to keep it wide open?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple questions on build and design.

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    I'll be building my island over a paved deck, do I still need to use decking boards?

I'm drawing out my layout and when I spec in the cut out for the appliances, I assume the cut out is the frame + the counter materials? So if it calls for a 10" height cutout that would include the counter top?

And for doors, generally, how much space do I need to give for the lips? Is 1.5" from floor to opening good enough?

Lastly, do I need to enclose the cut out boxes and just leave the opening based on MFG min spec or is it ok just to keep it wide open?
    Regarding your first question:
    I used Trex decking boards to keep the steel studs off the cement so the studs wouldn't be sitting in water and rusting. I also used Trex boards to allow for gaps under the grill to allow water to flow under the grill.

3. Back To Top    #3

Taking the trek board thickness into account, do you remove it from the frame height and build based on that or do u leave a 1/2" gap at the bottom?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

Decking boards (trex) are too keep the studs off the bottom and out of any water. I would use them. You can rip them if you have proper tools. Anything like a Trex under will work.

I didn't worry about compensating for the 1/2" height in mine.

Cut out height is everything, yes. Frame and countertop thickness.

The door bottom lip height above floor is personal preference. Take into consideration your exterior covering. If you are using something hard to cut or apply you may need more of a gap.

Have you seen my build thread? I go though a lot of these issues with pictures and sketches. Link is in my sig.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

5. Back To Top    #5

I just went through your build. That's quite intense especially the counter. I think I'm going with tile counter top and stucco side.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is your counter going to be covered? If not make sure and seal and protect the grout.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

7. Back To Top    #7

The decking boards allow the water to flow under and keeps the metal off the ground surface. Not only that, it does allow some air exchange so if you have gas or for reducing the moisture retention within the island. Don't skip this step!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.