closing woes-pool light

Jul 24, 2008
first posting-but lots of site viewing-great work!!! and thanks to you folks my pool has been consistently spectactular this season -the first in 3 seasons-and I SAVED A BUNCH OF MONEY
24' Vogue Discovery-Hayward sand-aqualuminator light-pool rover cleaner

Question-How do you plug the hole that's left in the return once the light is removed? I've been using a sock since I can't find a plug to fit- I lost about a foot of water last winter either from the holes in the winter cover or through the return?
really appreciate any help

How far did you drain the pool below the return opening? In 'Pool School,' it recommends 6 inches. Last year I didn't drain it far enough and had the same problem. I believe it was because of snow/ice accumulation on the cover pushing down and then raising the water. I think you can buy some kind of plug at a pool store but I don't use one or cover my strainer opening. I'm no expert, though. This is my first year using 'Trouble Free Pools.' And it has been a God-send.

Roxey welcome to TFP!!

Glad you've had such success following what's advised on this site :goodjob:

The sock will let water through it :( However you can use a rubber expandable plug to fully seal the hole (#8 or 9 should work). If you need any help finding the plug, try a pool store first if there's one close by, I'm sure someone here can give you a website so you can order one :)

Pentair makes a slightly deeper than usual plug for this if you're interested in the factory solution:

Pentair (American Products) Part # 98607700

http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/ ... cfm/136877

The first time I came across one of these I covered the whole assembly with a rubber glove I happened to have handy. Worked great, but not really the kind of solution you want to charge people for :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.