Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing woes-pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

closing woes-pool light

first posting-but lots of site viewing-great work!!! and thanks to you folks my pool has been consistently spectactular this season -the first in 3 seasons-and I SAVED A BUNCH OF MONEY
    24' Vogue Discovery-Hayward sand-aqualuminator light-pool rover cleaner

Question-How do you plug the hole that's left in the return once the light is removed? I've been using a sock since I can't find a plug to fit- I lost about a foot of water last winter either from the holes in the winter cover or through the return?
    really appreciate any help
    AGP 48"x28'
    Hayward 1.5hp 70 GPM
    Dreamline high rate sand filter 45gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: closing woes-pool light

How far did you drain the pool below the return opening? In 'Pool School,' it recommends 6 inches. Last year I didn't drain it far enough and had the same problem. I believe it was because of snow/ice accumulation on the cover pushing down and then raising the water. I think you can buy some kind of plug at a pool store but I don't use one or cover my strainer opening. I'm no expert, though. This is my first year using 'Trouble Free Pools.' And it has been a God-send.
    on the Northcoast of the U.S.A.

24ft AG-13,500 gal-Hayward S-166T high rate sand filter-pump is SplashPak Hp 1spl (whatever that means)-TF100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Roxey welcome to TFP!!

Glad you've had such success following what's advised on this site

The sock will let water through it However you can use a rubber expandable plug to fully seal the hole (#8 or 9 should work). If you need any help finding the plug, try a pool store first if there's one close by, I'm sure someone here can give you a website so you can order one
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks a bunch!! 80 the pool store, I'll try the box store for expandable plug
    AGP 48"x28'
    Hayward 1.5hp 70 GPM
    Dreamline high rate sand filter 45gpm

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hillsborough, NC

Pentair makes a slightly deeper than usual plug for this if you're interested in the factory solution:

Pentair (American Products) Part # 98607700 ... cfm/136877

The first time I came across one of these I covered the whole assembly with a rubber glove I happened to have handy. Worked great, but not really the kind of solution you want to charge people for