Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cheap, walmart "easy pour" the reason my pool is so cloudy?

1. Back To Top    #1

cheap, walmart "easy pour" the reason my pool is so cloudy?

Ive literally been slamming my pool for almost 3 weeks now. The 2nd week, i unknowingly put about 15 gallons of the easy pour great value brand bleach in the pool over the course of a few days. After a day or so i had a bunch of foam on the surface and in the skimmer. Thats when i realized i had gotten the cheap stuff. Last week i made sure to get the regular stuff, but after about 6 days,its still not clear and im about to give up before the season even starts!

Been running my pump 24/7 for over a month now.

Fc 10.5 i know thats not slam level, but im not putting any more $ in until i know whats going on.
    Cc .5
    Alk 80
    Cya 30
    Ph 7.2
    I can barely see the shallow floor now. Its been that way for a couple days with little to no improvement.

The pool store said it may be pollen. I have about 8 pine trees that border my property that dump alot of pollen, im sure.

Not sure what happened to my signature, buti have a 20000 gal vinyl liner in ground, with a hayward sand filter and 1hp hayward 1 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cheap, walmart "easy pour" the reason my pool is so cloudy?

I can't help with the bleach. But I'm 17 days into a slam and still have cloudy deep end. If you aren't willing to keep FC at slam, I'm not sure how you will clear up the cloudy. Good luck!
    Sand filter
    Salt Generator
    25000 gallon IG Vinyl

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I believe easy pour has some sort of thickener in it...and that is a problem. I don't know if it will cause the cloudiness, or if there's a known fix. others will chime in shortly.

+1 to Rere's comment. Dropping below SLAM level is a bad idea.

You absolutely need to stick with the SLAM until the 3 objectives are met.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suck try to remove as much foam as you can so it doesn't drive you nuts looking at it. I recently had trouble passing the OCLT because of an ammonia problem and I noticed holding FC at 12-15 was the trick. The days it was 10-12 I didn't see any results on the OCLT. Maybe it is by chance that I saw quick results with FC was 15 early on and then finally passed the OCLT when it was 15, but it worked for me.
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

5. Back To Top    #5

In my experience, cheap Walmart bleach works just fine. It is the easy pour that is bad.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by swirlywater View Post
    I would suck try to remove as much foam as you can so it doesn't drive you nuts looking at it. I recently had trouble passing the OCLT because of an ammonia problem and I noticed holding FC at 12-15 was the trick. The days it was 10-12 I didn't see any results on the OCLT. Maybe it is by chance that I saw quick results with FC was 15 early on and then finally passed the OCLT when it was 15, but it worked for me.
    Can you expand on this? I'm struggling with OCLT too.
    Sand filter
    Salt Generator
    25000 gallon IG Vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

Swirly is right. The Key to any SLAM, or Ammonia issue is sustaining a high enough FC to kill Algae, or break down Ammonia. When the FC level falls just a little below the value required, you lose ground. It really is no more complicated than that. Get it there and hold it there. It works.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
    In my experience, cheap Walmart bleach works just fine. It is the easy pour that is bad.
    correct, any store brand bleach is fine. No scent, no easy pour, no nothing. Just plain old bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I accidently put in a couple of gals of easy pour and had foam for a day or so but keeping your FC at SLAM until passing OCLT and filtering will clear it eventually.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!