Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a 2 speed or variable speed pump worth it at $0.082/kWh?

1. Back To Top    #1

Baton Rouge, LA

Is a 2 speed or variable speed pump worth it at $0.082/kWh?

I'm looking at building a 20x40 pool with an 8' deep end and possibly a spillover spa. I think that means I will need a 2 HP pump. Our electricity is fairly cheap at a total of 8.2 cents per kWh (Nominally it's 5 cents/kWh but with the "fuel surcharge" and what not it works out to 8.2). Should I even be considering a variable speed pump? I like the idea of a quiet pump that's inexpensive to operate but I don't like the idea of an electro-mechanical device that's totally dependent on electronics with somewhat questionable reliability to run.

Would it even be worth the upgrade to a 2 speed at those electricity prices? 2 speed pumps are much simpler right? Would I still get me the majority of the efficiency benefits of a VS but with a simpler piece of machinery that, all other things held equal, is likely to last longer?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Is a 2 speed or variable speed pump worth it at $0.082/kWh?

While I don't think a VS pump would be cost effective, a 2-speed would if for no other reason than you could run it 24 hours a day for about the same cost as running a single speed 8 hours a day. It will also be much quieter on low than on high, so if noise is a concern there's another reason to get it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

2-speed and don't look back.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Murrieta, CA

If you're building a spa, then it might be possible to use a single VS pump for the entire installation rather than having a separate pump for the spa. I'm no expert on pool/spa construction, but I seem to recall that many installations used a booster pump to generate the pressure for the spa. It's possible that a good VS pump could fill that role.

Other than that, I don't think a VS pump would save you any money over a 2-speed. The 2-speed motors should be very reliable. A 2 speed simply uses a different winding configuration to run at half-speed, so it's not much more (cost-wise and complexity-wise) than a single-speed motor. You just have to carefully assess your power needs and don't buy too much of a pump.

Having said all that, I do like the ability to fine-tune my flows. I run my VS pump at around 2200 RPM for skimming and vacuuming a couple of hours a day, and at 1100 rpm for slow filtering 10-12 hours per day. With a 2-speed, I believe my only choices would be 3450 or 1725 rpm, neither of which would be optimal for what I wanted to do.

p.s. I'm envious of your power costs. My electicity is charged on a tiered scale, with the top tier being around 40 cents/kwh. For all intents and purposes, the cost of running my pump falls into that tier.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

Even with a spa, the two speed works out to a lower lifetime cost. With a spa you need to size the pump so that high speed is optimized for the spa, which eliminates the need for a second pump, and then run the pool on low speed when you are not using the spa.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School