Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How pink is pink for FCl?

1. Back To Top    #1

How pink is pink for FCl?

So I'm trying to use my Taylor FAS DPD test, and it's just the slightest hint of pink after I put the two scoops of powder in, and then turns clear right away with the first drop of the reagent. I feel like I have put a lot of chlorine in the water the past few nights, surely it can't really be that close to zero? Water is clear and has been since opening 6 days ago. A few leaves in the bottom and pollen on top, but nothing major.

Other numbers: pH 7.4, alkalinity 184, CYA 26. Weather has been cloudy for several days, so water is cool.
    I have used 2 gals 8.25% bleach, as well has 4 lbs of Sodium Dichlor granules (still building up CYA a bit since pool was on Pristine Blue last year). I had also added muriatic acid initially to bring the pH down from the starting point of 8.2, and alk started at 258, so I guess at least that is making progress.

Am I doing something wrong with this test? I even tried faking a sample with a drop of bleach in a bottle of water and it was pink but only for about 2 swirls of the powder, never mind adding the next step.
    Vicki
    33x18 Oval shaped AG pool, about 12,000ish gal
    1.5 Hayward Power-Flo LX pump
    Dream Line high rate sand filter
    Also 375 gal Baja 7 person spa w/cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How pink is pink for FCl?

It should only require one scoop of powder. 10ml sample size?

Have you tried the regular Chlorine test that's the other 1/2 of the pH test?

Basic how to video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQG...l=TF100TestKit

your TA sounds way high...I guess you know that...but I had to point it out.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

That means very little FC. ONE scoop is enough. If there is ample FC it is vivid pink.

When you did the bleach in the bottle, it was high, and it bleached out the color.

Sounds like you need to SLAM this pool. Read the link in My sig line, and ask questions before you start.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, 10mL sample. Maybe I was using too much powder then? The instructions say if pink color disappears, add powder until it turns pink.
    Vicki

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

follow the video and get back to us on how it worked for you.
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

I watched the video and, yeah, my test definitely wasn't pink like that. Ok, so according to the poolmath calculator, if I add two lbs of Dichlor it should raise my FCl by 11. So I will try that, since my CYA could go a little higher anyways. I'll also add some more muriatic acid to keep trying to get the alk down. We are on a well here, very "soft" water, and the water starts pretty basic with high alk and next to no calcium. I read that CH isn't so important for vinyl pools, so I haven't bothered trying to adjust that.
    Vicki

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by vaubach View Post
    I watched the video and, yeah, my test definitely wasn't pink like that. Ok, so according to the poolmath calculator, if I add two lbs of Dichlor it should raise my FCl by 11. So I will try that, since my CYA could go a little higher anyways. I'll also add some more muriatic acid to keep trying to get the alk down. We are on a well here, very "soft" water, and the water starts pretty basic with high alk and next to no calcium. I read that CH isn't so important for vinyl pools, so I haven't bothered trying to adjust that.
    Sounds like you've been doing your homework. Seriously, thank you for that!!

Just don't get too carried away with the DiChlor.

8. Back To Top    #8

Added 1 gal of bleach, 1 lb of Dichlor, scrubbed pool, scooped leaves, added acid. Fingers crossed I will see some increase.
    Vicki

9. Back To Top    #9

So that's what pink looks like. I got a FCl reading of 7 yesterday afternoon, and again this morning, with a CC of 0. That's good right? Other numbers: pH 7.3, Alk 162 (still high), CH 68, CYA 28. Do I still need to work on that alkalinity some more with more acid? I have some "pH minus", but I'm not sure if that will drive alk down or not.
    Vicki

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, that is good

You will want to work on lowering TA over time, but there is no rush on that. Any acid, including PH Minus, which we call dry acid, will lower TA. But you can't lower it too much at one time, because then the PH gets too low. You need to lower PH until it gets to around 7.2, and then wait for the PH to come back up before adding more acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Super. It's still way too cold to swim in, but hopefully sunny days are on the way to warm it up a bit and maybe that solar coil heater will help.
    Vicki

12. Back To Top    #12

Vicki, how are you getting those readings other than FC? I can see guesstimating CYA on the view tube scale, but where did the 162 TA and CH 68 come from? Are you using a digital tester of some type?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, a Lamotte ColorQ 7. My initial tests were run at my local pool store however.
    Vicki

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Do I still need to work on that alkalinity some more with more acid?
    Not really, you can let it come down slowly on it's own (weeks) or you can bring it down quickly but not with acid. The correct way to reduce TA is to follow the procedure found in Pool School. It will ultimately reduce your TA and leave your pH alone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by vaubach View Post
    Yes, a Lamotte ColorQ 7. My initial tests were run at my local pool store however.
    You might want to use the search function with terms like "colorq accuracy"
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!