Need advice on what deck stain or paint to use.

May 29, 2013
Swisher, Iowa
Its time to redo our pool deck, the previous finish only lasted about 1 year and was getting worn out. I have been considering something like Deckover or should I stick to stain? I used cabot Australian timber oil stain last time. It pealed some and came up. Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks!

Read read read the reviews on all that deck over stuff and ones that are similar. We wound up doing a stain last year after reading reviews

My parents used one of them on their deck several years ago. It looks great, but the finish is NOT barefoot friendly. Some are and some aren't, but I'd definitely check on that before I bought and not use what they did. Although it does look good, it would not feel good beside a pool!

I used Rustoleum Restore - then I ripped up all my deck boards and put down new ones. I really did not like the way it looked or felt. It held up just fine - I followed the prep instructions, I just did not like the end results. I did keep it on the deck stairs, as I think the tread there is nice.

I used Flood brand solid stain on the deck (on lots of other things as well) and it holds up well. Behr is not bad either. But solid stain is the way to go, if you like the way it looks. It lasts a lot longer than transparent or semi-transparent.

-dave

We did a lot of reading online and ended up going with TWP Stain. I found it under review of deck stains. They rated all the ones mentioned above and more. We used the 1500 series because in PA they will not allow the 100 Series to be sold but many states do allow the 100 series and that has excellent reviews for all sorts of uses. I think we looked at deck stain guide and several professional reviews. I sell insurance and am in and out of peoples homes all day and so I asked everyone who had a deck what they used and how they liked it. Almost everyone was eager to show me their decks whether they liked the stain or hated it. TWP has worked great for us and is only requiring a few touch up spots after two years. No peeling at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.