Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on what deck stain or paint to use.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on what deck stain or paint to use.

Its time to redo our pool deck, the previous finish only lasted about 1 year and was getting worn out. I have been considering something like Deckover or should I stick to stain? I used cabot Australian timber oil stain last time. It pealed some and came up. Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks!
    Retired Navy Chief (CTOC)
    21ft round 4ft AG 9367 gallons, floater with pucks as needed, Waterway PB 19inch Sand, Waterway PB 1hp SPL (not sure of type), Rheem LP Heater, Hayward Aqua bug, Aqua Luminator Light. Located in Iowa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on what deck stain or paint to use.

Bummer that Cabot only lasted a year. I though that was the good stuff.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Read read read the reviews on all that deck over stuff and ones that are similar. We wound up doing a stain last year after reading reviews
    12k gal, IG plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Whisperflo 2hp pump, 15+ yr old pool

4. Back To Top    #4

My parents used one of them on their deck several years ago. It looks great, but the finish is NOT barefoot friendly. Some are and some aren't, but I'd definitely check on that before I bought and not use what they did. Although it does look good, it would not feel good beside a pool!
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I used Armstrong Clark stain on my deck last year, it is very nice. http://www.armstrongclarkstain.com/
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I use Sikkens .... Great stuff!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I used Rustoleum Restore - then I ripped up all my deck boards and put down new ones. I really did not like the way it looked or felt. It held up just fine - I followed the prep instructions, I just did not like the end results. I did keep it on the deck stairs, as I think the tread there is nice.

I used Flood brand solid stain on the deck (on lots of other things as well) and it holds up well. Behr is not bad either. But solid stain is the way to go, if you like the way it looks. It lasts a lot longer than transparent or semi-transparent.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

8. Back To Top    #8

We did a lot of reading online and ended up going with TWP Stain. I found it under review of deck stains. They rated all the ones mentioned above and more. We used the 1500 series because in PA they will not allow the 100 Series to be sold but many states do allow the 100 series and that has excellent reviews for all sorts of uses. I think we looked at deck stain guide and several professional reviews. I sell insurance and am in and out of peoples homes all day and so I asked everyone who had a deck what they used and how they liked it. Almost everyone was eager to show me their decks whether they liked the stain or hated it. TWP has worked great for us and is only requiring a few touch up spots after two years. No peeling at all.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

9. Back To Top    #9

I use Benjamin Moore Arborcoat stain (in solid) for my decks, railings and fence. $45 /gallon. I've had very good results.