salt and concrete

I was told by a PB, stone mason, and the owner of a stone store that it would be better to choose natural stone rather than the engineered stone for pool applications. Since the natural stone isn't colored by an artificial process there is less of a chance of discoloration from chemicals, water, and other things. Either way it should still be sealed. if it hasn't been installed yet, maybe you have time to switch to a natural ledgestone product.

TPADiver, I have had exactly the opposite experience. Engineered stone has been impervious to pool conditions, while some natural stones get damaged around a pool. I suspect there isn't really a universal answer, with some kinds of both engineered and natural stone having issues, but for me it has always been natural stone that has had problems.

You're probably right. My PB said his customers had lots of problems from the engineered stone that is sold by his pool tile supplier, but never had issues once he switched to the natural ledgestone. Still, the discoloration didn't occur until a year or more after the engineered stone had been installed. I suppose if you don't take proper care of any item that is not specifically designed to be in a pool environment you will have problems with it.

I guess that I've always looked at engineered stone the same as engineered hardwood. Instead of being a solid piece that has uniform color throughout, there is just a thin veneer layer on the top that is more prone to irreversable damage. It's all about the quality and durability of the finish, which apparently can vary greatly.

TPADiver, I have had exactly the opposite experience. Engineered stone has been impervious to pool conditions, while some natural stones get damaged around a pool. I suspect there isn't really a universal answer, with some kinds of both engineered and natural stone having issues, but for me it has always been natural stone that has had problems.

This is what I have read, especially from the concrete waterfall builder of course.

By the way, the concrete waterfall builder is www.ricorock.com. One part of the website says no need to seal it, just re-stain as needed and then another part of their website recommends sealing it and then even recommends a sealant :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.