Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt and concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

salt and concrete

I have read that SWG systems can be really hard on limestone and other softer rocks, etc. Is there any danger to concrete made to look like Flagstone or Limestone? My PB is recommending that I "seal" these fake rocks to preserve them. Any thoughts on this?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: salt and concrete

The concrete will be fine without sealing but any type of coating over the cement will do better being sealed.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I have stamped concrete around my pool. The concrete contractor sealed the entire deck. He mentioned I should do this every couple of years.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    The concrete will be fine without sealing but any type of coating over the cement will do better being sealed.
    The concrete will have a stain. Does that count?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Really needs to be sealed.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

6. Back To Top    #6

I was told by a PB, stone mason, and the owner of a stone store that it would be better to choose natural stone rather than the engineered stone for pool applications. Since the natural stone isn't colored by an artificial process there is less of a chance of discoloration from chemicals, water, and other things. Either way it should still be sealed. if it hasn't been installed yet, maybe you have time to switch to a natural ledgestone product.

7. Back To Top    #7

TPADiver, I have had exactly the opposite experience. Engineered stone has been impervious to pool conditions, while some natural stones get damaged around a pool. I suspect there isn't really a universal answer, with some kinds of both engineered and natural stone having issues, but for me it has always been natural stone that has had problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

You're probably right. My PB said his customers had lots of problems from the engineered stone that is sold by his pool tile supplier, but never had issues once he switched to the natural ledgestone. Still, the discoloration didn't occur until a year or more after the engineered stone had been installed. I suppose if you don't take proper care of any item that is not specifically designed to be in a pool environment you will have problems with it.

I guess that I've always looked at engineered stone the same as engineered hardwood. Instead of being a solid piece that has uniform color throughout, there is just a thin veneer layer on the top that is more prone to irreversable damage. It's all about the quality and durability of the finish, which apparently can vary greatly.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have an engineered stone planter (2W x 3H x 12L) with 3 sheer descents. So far so good.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    TPADiver, I have had exactly the opposite experience. Engineered stone has been impervious to pool conditions, while some natural stones get damaged around a pool. I suspect there isn't really a universal answer, with some kinds of both engineered and natural stone having issues, but for me it has always been natural stone that has had problems.

This is what I have read, especially from the concrete waterfall builder of course.

By the way, the concrete waterfall builder is www.ricorock.com. One part of the website says no need to seal it, just re-stain as needed and then another part of their website recommends sealing it and then even recommends a sealant