dark plaster calcium stains

Pool was re-plastered May 2014 with colorscapes dark grey. In November, CH went to 700 and white calcium stains began to appear on pool surface. Drained pool and refilled in November to lower CH. Tried Leslie's scale & stain remover for a couple months with no results.

How can i remove these calcium spots without draining pool and acid wash?
Is there a no drain acid wash method or product that will be effective in removing calcium stains?

Here are my current pool chemistry readings:

FC=2
PH=7.5
TA=60
CH=260
CYA=50

If you're history looks like that it's not indicative of calcium scaling. Certainly not a lot of potential. That's just a snapshot, so I can't say what else has happened. Still, those are good numbers from a scaling potential standpoint.

Any chance you can throw up some photos and more history?

There are chemicals that can prevent additional scaling, but they are far less effective at removing scale once it has already formed.

I don't recommend a no-drain acid wash. It shortens the lifetime of your plaster more than needed, takes quite a while, requires bypassing the heater (if you have one), and often doesn't end up working.

If the white areas are very localized you can sometimes remove them with local application of muriatic acid (through a piece of pipe). But that quickly becomes impractical as the area affected gets larger.

Unfortunately, a full drain manual acid wash is by far the most effective approach.

How could your CH possibly have risen to 700ppm in 6 months? Especially given that you have now had water in it for 5 months and the CH is only 260ppm?

That does not seem normal ... unless you were adding a lot of cal-hypo chlorine powder.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you testing your water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.