Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dark plaster calcium stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Bakersfield, California

dark plaster calcium stains

Pool was re-plastered May 2014 with colorscapes dark grey. In November, CH went to 700 and white calcium stains began to appear on pool surface. Drained pool and refilled in November to lower CH. Tried Leslie's scale & stain remover for a couple months with no results.

How can i remove these calcium spots without draining pool and acid wash?
    Is there a no drain acid wash method or product that will be effective in removing calcium stains?

Here are my current pool chemistry readings:

20K gal colorscapes dark gray plaster, no SWG, BBB method, variable speed hayward ecostar pump, pentair cartridge filter, hayward navigator cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dark plaster calcium stains

If you're history looks like that it's not indicative of calcium scaling. Certainly not a lot of potential. That's just a snapshot, so I can't say what else has happened. Still, those are good numbers from a scaling potential standpoint.

Any chance you can throw up some photos and more history?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

There are chemicals that can prevent additional scaling, but they are far less effective at removing scale once it has already formed.

I don't recommend a no-drain acid wash. It shortens the lifetime of your plaster more than needed, takes quite a while, requires bypassing the heater (if you have one), and often doesn't end up working.

If the white areas are very localized you can sometimes remove them with local application of muriatic acid (through a piece of pipe). But that quickly becomes impractical as the area affected gets larger.

Unfortunately, a full drain manual acid wash is by far the most effective approach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Friendswood, TX

Could a prolonged time with a lower than normal PH remove the stains if they are light?
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

How could your CH possibly have risen to 700ppm in 6 months? Especially given that you have now had water in it for 5 months and the CH is only 260ppm?

That does not seem normal ... unless you were adding a lot of cal-hypo chlorine powder.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you testing your water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!