I'm screwed-Liner floating while trying to lower CYA

lances4803

Sep 6, 2009
TN
Last year I deviated from the BBB method and tried pucks for the summer. I ended up with a CYA of 134.
When I had that number verified by the pool company, they didn't remark that it was too high, but everyone here said I needed to get it back down to normal.
So, I drained the water leaving a foot in the shallow end. Unfortunately, we got hit with a lot of rain and the ground water went up, floating the liner along the edges and the deep end.
I have a pipe that I left into a gravel bed under the deep end for any eventuality, and in fact the company used that water to originally fill the pool! But, without their pump I have no way to get that water out. It's a 1 1/2 PVC pipe.

I called the company and they can't come out to help as they are booked. I have no way to get the water out, and am trying to brush out wrinkles. They said they can come out this summer and get the wrinkles out. The liner is 5 years old.
As an extra, they said I was crazy to try and lower the CYA and they don't get concerned until it hits 200. And then, they can gradually lower that through a change in chemicals.

I have see where you can snake a hose under the liner lip and pump from behind. Is this recommended, or am I totally screwed at this point?

There is a significant risk that the liner will not go back into place correctly, and could tear while you are trying to get it into position. Still there are alright odds that you can get things at least mostly back to good, with perhaps some lingering wrinkles.

Start raising the pool water level back up and using a brush gently push the liner back into place as the water level rises. If you catch it at just the right moment this will be much easier. You want to get it just as the floating stops. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know which exact water level that will happen at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.