I bought a solar cover but it is ugly

I bought a solar cover along with a nice reel (steel, on casters, adjustable height). The cover is a 12mm dark blue bubble-wrap looking thing. Here's the thing: the reel and cover seem to take up my whole yard! When I wind up the cover during the day, all I can see is this huge THING with a bright blue thing wrapped around it, blocking my view of the hot tub and picnic table. I feel like it is uglying up my whole yard.

There's not really a point to this post other than to ask....how do I make peace with the ugliness? And has anyone else found a better solution to their cold-water problem than a solar blanket? (I also have a solar coil heating system but it is not hooked up yet.)

I bought a solar cover along with a nice reel (steel, on casters, adjustable height). The cover is a 12mm dark blue bubble-wrap looking thing. Here's the thing: the reel and cover seem to take up my whole yard! When I wind up the cover during the day, all I can see is this huge THING with a bright blue thing wrapped around it, blocking my view of the hot tub and picnic table. I feel like it is uglying up my whole yard.

There's not really a point to this post other than to ask....how do I make peace with the ugliness? And has anyone else found a better solution to their cold-water problem than a solar blanket? (I also have a solar coil heating system but it is not hooked up yet.)

Sounds like a clear solar cover might be less noticeable. Too bad they don't make them in camo. :)

Due to lots of trees, laziness and issues you describe we elected not to use a cover. We installed some solar panels to heat the pool, which helps lots.

Jennifer...I so feel your pain. Got the same blue one last week to warm my water although it really hasn't. However since I put it on over a week ago it has rained every single day. Only thing it has done is saved my chlorine which at least is a good thing. I don't have a reel and have yet to figure out what the heck im gonna do with the thing when I take it off. I have nowhere to put it other than lay it on my brand new pretty deck.

Jennifer...I so feel your pain. Got the same blue one last week to warm my water although it really hasn't. However since I put it on over a week ago it has rained every single day. Only thing it has done is saved my chlorine which at least is a good thing. I don't have a reel and have yet to figure out what the heck im gonna do with the thing when I take it off. I have nowhere to put it other than lay it on my brand new pretty deck.
I just opted for the clear colored one 12 mil (in transit here). the last 8 got me one winter but I left it off the last two winters.
I install it during the spring after a good warm/hot day to keep the heat over night. during the first winter it froze solid and never kept the water warm.

I had thought of getting a reel, but reading on here someone with a similar pool cut his into sections.
I did that into 1/2 and 1/4 again. the smaller sections did allow me to remove and reinstall it by my self,
just roll it up after lifting about 1/3 out of the water. just north of you my pool was at 75 degrees with
the dark rain clouds...looks like a few days more of it to come. I have no heater other than my filter
with the hottest auto paint on it which does warm the water up 3 degrees in bright sun. I remove the
cover during bright sunny days and keep it covered during the cloudy ones and at night when the temp
drops.

my pool is in ground with a concrete pad around it, plenty of room to leave the several sections there.
the next cover coming it is heavier and I will try to cut this one into 5 sections. blue dots are popping off
the old one. just expendable covers, all that they are. I thought the clear might not absorb the sun
as much and deteriorate as fast. time will tell...

about the sun, my concrete around the pool in bright sun is already heating up to 104 degrees. when you
take the cover off during the day all that heat goes into the water, the cover maintains it over night.
it may take several days of that sun to warm up the mass of concrete behind the pool vinyl liner and
get to the point of swimming temp. just thinking my pool was frozen in early March during that last
cold spell. I use a $15 infrared temperature gun from amazon to watch temps. my blue cover never
gets but 2 degrees warmer than the pool water most of the time.

Last edited:
If you can swing the cost and have a rectangular pool design get the auto pool cover when you build. I never have had to vacuum my pool in four years just use the polaris 280. Keeps the heat in the pool (It actually heats when closed) and is also piece of mind for the kids.

I have seen nice canvas covers for the reels on some pools here in California - similar to the ones you put on BBQ's just bigger. I don't know if they are commercially made or custom, but I bet an awning or upholstery shop could whip you up something. Might help with longevity of the cover too.

Thanks for all the input! The good thing about my reel is that it is light enough to drag/carry it into my side yard, but it is still kind of a pain. I am intrigued by the idea of a cover for the cover (and reel)! At least If I had beige/brown cover it wouldn't be so.....eye catching. I am thinking I can make something out of a big brown tarp and some industrial strength Velcro (I am pretty crafty).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.