Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I bought a solar cover but it is ugly

1. Back To Top    #1

I bought a solar cover but it is ugly

I bought a solar cover along with a nice reel (steel, on casters, adjustable height). The cover is a 12mm dark blue bubble-wrap looking thing. Here's the thing: the reel and cover seem to take up my whole yard! When I wind up the cover during the day, all I can see is this huge THING with a bright blue thing wrapped around it, blocking my view of the hot tub and picnic table. I feel like it is uglying up my whole yard.

There's not really a point to this post other than to ask....how do I make peace with the ugliness? And has anyone else found a better solution to their cold-water problem than a solar blanket? (I also have a solar coil heating system but it is not hooked up yet.)
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I bought a solar cover but it is ugly

It's a love/hate relationship with me as well. I roll up the solar cover daily (the gas bill would be outrageous without it), and haul it to the side of the house where it's mostly out of sight.
    11K gal, fiberglass, 1 HP Hayward tristar pump, cartridge filter, Aqua Plus SWG, 3 MagicStream Laminars

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferJuniper2 View Post
    I bought a solar cover along with a nice reel (steel, on casters, adjustable height). The cover is a 12mm dark blue bubble-wrap looking thing. Here's the thing: the reel and cover seem to take up my whole yard! When I wind up the cover during the day, all I can see is this huge THING with a bright blue thing wrapped around it, blocking my view of the hot tub and picnic table. I feel like it is uglying up my whole yard.

There's not really a point to this post other than to ask....how do I make peace with the ugliness? And has anyone else found a better solution to their cold-water problem than a solar blanket? (I also have a solar coil heating system but it is not hooked up yet.)
    Sounds like a clear solar cover might be less noticeable. Too bad they don't make them in camo.

Due to lots of trees, laziness and issues you describe we elected not to use a cover. We installed some solar panels to heat the pool, which helps lots.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm looking into building a box for mine this year. So when it's done it should roll up into what looks like a long bench.
    Using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5

I dont have a cover of any sort, and this is why. They are just plain ol' ugly.

Not that this is any help, but I wish you luck in figuring something out...
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Jennifer...I so feel your pain. Got the same blue one last week to warm my water although it really hasn't. However since I put it on over a week ago it has rained every single day. Only thing it has done is saved my chlorine which at least is a good thing. I don't have a reel and have yet to figure out what the heck im gonna do with the thing when I take it off. I have nowhere to put it other than lay it on my brand new pretty deck.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    Jennifer...I so feel your pain. Got the same blue one last week to warm my water although it really hasn't. However since I put it on over a week ago it has rained every single day. Only thing it has done is saved my chlorine which at least is a good thing. I don't have a reel and have yet to figure out what the heck im gonna do with the thing when I take it off. I have nowhere to put it other than lay it on my brand new pretty deck.
    I just opted for the clear colored one 12 mil (in transit here). the last 8 got me one winter but I left it off the last two winters.
    I install it during the spring after a good warm/hot day to keep the heat over night. during the first winter it froze solid and never kept the water warm.

I had thought of getting a reel, but reading on here someone with a similar pool cut his into sections.
    I did that into 1/2 and 1/4 again. the smaller sections did allow me to remove and reinstall it by my self,
    just roll it up after lifting about 1/3 out of the water. just north of you my pool was at 75 degrees with
    the dark rain clouds...looks like a few days more of it to come. I have no heater other than my filter
    with the hottest auto paint on it which does warm the water up 3 degrees in bright sun. I remove the
    cover during bright sunny days and keep it covered during the cloudy ones and at night when the temp
    drops.

my pool is in ground with a concrete pad around it, plenty of room to leave the several sections there.
    the next cover coming it is heavier and I will try to cut this one into 5 sections. blue dots are popping off
    the old one. just expendable covers, all that they are. I thought the clear might not absorb the sun
    as much and deteriorate as fast. time will tell...

about the sun, my concrete around the pool in bright sun is already heating up to 104 degrees. when you
    take the cover off during the day all that heat goes into the water, the cover maintains it over night.
    it may take several days of that sun to warm up the mass of concrete behind the pool vinyl liner and
    get to the point of swimming temp. just thinking my pool was frozen in early March during that last
    cold spell. I use a $15 infrared temperature gun from amazon to watch temps. my blue cover never
    gets but 2 degrees warmer than the pool water most of the time.
    Last edited by eaamon; 04-18-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: about the sun
    18X36 Grecian 24400 est., pacfab sand Triton II, 1.5hp AOSmith, clormatic 2

8. Back To Top    #8

If you can swing the cost and have a rectangular pool design get the auto pool cover when you build. I never have had to vacuum my pool in four years just use the polaris 280. Keeps the heat in the pool (It actually heats when closed) and is also piece of mind for the kids.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

I have seen nice canvas covers for the reels on some pools here in California - similar to the ones you put on BBQ's just bigger. I don't know if they are commercially made or custom, but I bet an awning or upholstery shop could whip you up something. Might help with longevity of the cover too.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the input! The good thing about my reel is that it is light enough to drag/carry it into my side yard, but it is still kind of a pain. I am intrigued by the idea of a cover for the cover (and reel)! At least If I had beige/brown cover it wouldn't be so.....eye catching. I am thinking I can make something out of a big brown tarp and some industrial strength Velcro (I am pretty crafty).
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310