My embarrassing pipes... (are they impeding flow?)

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
Ok first of all I am super embarrassed by how I ran some pipes last fall. I had disaster strike right before closing, pump went out, electrical was dry rotted. And the new pump didn't line up with out replacing all piping and buying a new valve. SO.... I ended up making some crazy piping to line it up because I was in a rush to get it closed down. I figured I could come back this season and re-do everything.

My question is if my pipe configuration would impede my flow rate? I did notice the new pump lacked in suction when cleaning / closing. But my filter was very dirty and dried out at the time.

So here it is,

http://imgur.com/FusoY1R

;)

Thanks, I will go cry in the corner now.

I highly doubt it will make a noticeable impact. I actually think your solution is somewhat hilarious. There are more direct ways, but you got the job done....and it looks like you made it replaceable. two 45 deg angles would do the job.

biggest problem I see with it is the potential for air to get trapped in the highest point. I suspect after a min of pump running that will not be a problem.

*note, I'm not an Engineer....

I wanted to go with two 45's, it did make the most sense. But when I put the two 45s on the space it moved over was almost 2 inches off. The pipes riding up against each other squeezed it inline.

Obviously though I have no idea wth I am doing. :D

I was mainly worried the flow rate would drop, I didn't even think about air getting trapped. lol

Somewhat surprisingly to me, mas985 has taught us here on the forum that 90's don't really restrict flow as much as you would think.

It certainly looks funky but I doubt you will see less than a 5% drop. I'd leave it until I another remodel and then redo it.

Of course, all your friends will say. "What the **** is that?"

You might tell them it is a "centrifugal dirt release" that slams the dirt to one side of the pipe for easy pick up by the filter.:laughblue::laughblue:

LOL! Definitely the most interesting plumbing arrangement ever seen on TFP! Lots of people have that many elbows in their plumbing, just not all at once! :)

I failed to realize I could have moved the pump over more from the filter housing. I had to add a connection to raise the assembly up (thought it would line up). And I didn't want to buy a new valve at the time.
http://imgur.com/0Yd7C0X

I failed, but I started it up over the weekend, it seems to work OK. Now I have this crazy configuration. None of my friends know anything about pools luckily. =P

Thanks for the help!

Won't make much difference in flow rates. May take a little more to prime pump if it ever needs to be turned off/on.

Glue some kind of fake looking sensor on top and tell people it is a fun o meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL:

fun-o-mete_xm3tk4du.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why did he need the union?

I am trying to install a new pump with a lower inlet height. I would prefer not to cut out the two valves prior to the pump inlet. I'm considering some method to step the inlet down, hopefully something that looks less ridiculous than this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.