Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My embarrassing pipes... (are they impeding flow?)

1. Back To Top    #1

My embarrassing pipes... (are they impeding flow?)

Ok first of all I am super embarrassed by how I ran some pipes last fall. I had disaster strike right before closing, pump went out, electrical was dry rotted. And the new pump didn't line up with out replacing all piping and buying a new valve. SO.... I ended up making some crazy piping to line it up because I was in a rush to get it closed down. I figured I could come back this season and re-do everything.

My question is if my pipe configuration would impede my flow rate? I did notice the new pump lacked in suction when cleaning / closing. But my filter was very dirty and dried out at the time.

So here it is,

http://imgur.com/FusoY1R

Thanks, I will go cry in the corner now.
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My embarrassing pipes... (are they impeding flow?)

I highly doubt it will make a noticeable impact. I actually think your solution is somewhat hilarious. There are more direct ways, but you got the job done....and it looks like you made it replaceable. two 45 deg angles would do the job.

biggest problem I see with it is the potential for air to get trapped in the highest point. I suspect after a min of pump running that will not be a problem.

*note, I'm not an Engineer....
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

I wanted to go with two 45's, it did make the most sense. But when I put the two 45s on the space it moved over was almost 2 inches off. The pipes riding up against each other squeezed it inline.

Obviously though I have no idea wth I am doing.

I was mainly worried the flow rate would drop, I didn't even think about air getting trapped. lol
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

4. Back To Top    #4

How hard would it have been to just move the pump over a bit?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Somewhat surprisingly to me, mas985 has taught us here on the forum that 90's don't really restrict flow as much as you would think.

It certainly looks funky but I doubt you will see less than a 5% drop. I'd leave it until I another remodel and then redo it.

Of course, all your friends will say. "What the **** is that?"

You might tell them it is a "centrifugal dirt release" that slams the dirt to one side of the pipe for easy pick up by the filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL! Definitely the most interesting plumbing arrangement ever seen on TFP! Lots of people have that many elbows in their plumbing, just not all at once!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I failed to realize I could have moved the pump over more from the filter housing. I had to add a connection to raise the assembly up (thought it would line up). And I didn't want to buy a new valve at the time.
    http://imgur.com/0Yd7C0X

I failed, but I started it up over the weekend, it seems to work OK. Now I have this crazy configuration. None of my friends know anything about pools luckily. =P

Thanks for the help!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    how hard would it have been to just move the pump over a bit?
    x2 lol
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

9. Back To Top    #9

Won't make much difference in flow rates. May take a little more to prime pump if it ever needs to be turned off/on.

Glue some kind of fake looking sensor on top and tell people it is a fun o meter.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL:

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey man, you're a good sport.

I must say, I like the CDR angle Duraleigh points out. Just say that when your friends ask.

"It's a CDR!! What... didn't you know that?"
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the laughs. It's working, don't fix it. Remember the motto. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. It may not be pretty, but it's gotten the job done.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

13. Back To Top    #13

Once I found out if shouldn't be a problem I am pretty proud to have something so inventive. I think it might speed up flow via the loop, much like a roller coaster.

In all seriousness thanks everyone for the responses!

14. Back To Top    #14

No, thank you!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

Dude, it's like the super conductor super collider!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks fine to me. Actually that set up will handle vibrations from the pump better than straight pipe will. I have a similar "loop" connected to my house water pump. At least you didn't forget the union fitting.

17. Back To Top    #17

As long as it works - it works. You ought to see my feed to the pool pump This was before I knew about Jandy valves, etc...
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Why did he need the union?

I am trying to install a new pump with a lower inlet height. I would prefer not to cut out the two valves prior to the pump inlet. I'm considering some method to step the inlet down, hopefully something that looks less ridiculous than this.
    23 kgal pebble tek pool, Hayward SP2302 VSP, Clean and Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter, 2" PVC, Kreepy Krauly suction pool cleaner, dual water-fall, no heat or spa, and a broken Pentair SWG!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by nomar116 View Post
    Why did he need the union?
    Unions allow maintenance access to piping without having to cut the pipe. I use unions on both sides of every section of pipe so that I can disassemble and drain each section for winter. Imagine having to remove that pump for whatever reason without that union in place.
    18x33 above ground w/ 3/4 wrap-around deck, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Purex Triton Star ST-50 DE filter.