Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaves etc..... need a new approach

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaves etc..... need a new approach

I would like to try something new to manage leaves.

I've been in this house with my first pool for 3 years now. The in ground vinyl pool is beautifully landscaped surrounded by three River Birtches and a Japanese Maple.

I keep a solar cover on the pool at night.

Unfortunately, in the spring the Birtches drop seed pods for several weeks and then start dropping leaves whenever there is a hint of dryness.

The filtration system is a 1hp with a sand filter. 2 skimmers a main drain in the deep end and 5 returns. Wind usually blows leaves to the shallow end where there is a skimmer.

I find the skimmer doesn't have enough pull to get much so I run the Baracuda to pick leaves off the bottom of the pool, which makes it so I cannot run the skimmers.

When the kids or I take the solar cover off there are allot of leaves on top and they end up in the pool....

I run the pump from 2pm to 10pm. The Baracuda never gets all the leaves, but is allot better than vacuuming daily.

What do you think of a PoolSkim in the shallow end and The PoolCleaner or a robot to replace the Baracuda? I don't need something to clean walls, I don't mind brushing those, just looking to manage the leaves a whole lot better.
    In ground irregular shape Vinyl pool 20,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter, Waterway 1hp SVL56 pump, 24hr timer set for 8 hrs/day runtime typically, Diving Board, 12' deep end 3.5' shallow end, solar cover, 250,000 Btu Natural Gas Bryandt heater, Using Liquid Bleach for chlorine, built in 2000. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaves etc..... need a new approach

Is there a valve near the pump to change flow between skimmers and main drain? We move the valve to mostly skimmer when more stuff is dropping in the pool. Also, if you can change the pump timer to run a few hours in morning and a few in the evening it will help to get more in the skimmers and off the bottom.

Also, please update your signature as described here, What we need to know to answer your questions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I set the returns to push leaves clockwise to the skimmers. I try to keep the water level a little on the low side to increase the velocity of water entering the skimmer. My waterway skimmers do not have flaps, so they loose their load if I break up the run period. Yes I do have valving and when I was trying to maximize the skimmers effectiveness I would force most water through 1 skimmer. This would make it semi effective, but then I cannot run the baracuda to pick up the floor.

I feel like I'm showing up to a gunfight with a nail file.

Thanks for the tip on the signature update.
    In ground irregular shape Vinyl pool 20,000 gallons, Hayward S244T Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter, Waterway 1hp SVL56 pump, 24hr timer set for 8 hrs/day runtime typically, Diving Board, 12' deep end 3.5' shallow end, solar cover, 250,000 Btu Natural Gas Bryandt heater, Using Liquid Bleach for chlorine, built in 2000. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

It is possible to get generic weir flaps that are adaptable to fit nearly any skimmer. Skimmer pull with be much better with a weir.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 on the weir flaps. One of my skimmers was doing very little skimming last week. I was messing around with it for a couple of days and getting nowhere. Then I noticed that the flap was stuck down for some reason. I flipped it back up and the skimming velocity increased tremendously. This will also allow you to fill completely which will improve water flow capacity into the skimmers.

LOL at your nail file to a gun fight! You've got backup! Pool looks great!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll see what I can find for a weir flap. Great idea.

8. Back To Top    #8

Jim I feel you, I have two massive birch trees in my yard (one hangs almost directly over the pool) that I just despise due to this. I have since resorted to removing the large branches with the goal of eventually removing the trees completely. I manually vacuum the pool at least twice a week
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

9. Back To Top    #9

Since we are on the subject of dealing with trees and leaves around the pool. We have a LOT of trees (like 100) around our pool that drop a LOT of stuff in our pool almost year round. The way we deal with that is by running our VSpump pretty much 24x7x365 at 1100 rpm. 1100 rpm generates enough water flow to create good skimmer action and enough flow to keep the SWCG happy. This keeps most of the debris in the skimmers and off the bottom. Our pump only draws 150 watts at 1100 rpm.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Since we are on the subject of dealing with trees and leaves around the pool. We have a LOT of trees (like 100) around our pool that drop a LOT of stuff in our pool almost year round. The way we deal with that is by running our VSpump pretty much 24x7x365 at 1100 rpm. 1100 rpm generates enough water flow to create good skimmer action and enough flow to keep the SWCG happy. This keeps most of the debris in the skimmers and off the bottom. Our pump only draws 150 watts at 1100 rpm.
    That's impressive, 150 watts for good skimmer action.
    I have to keep a solar cover on at night as it's usually in the 50's...

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Jim. I have a beautiful old, and large Japanese maple right by the pool and all manner of nearby leaves too. (I also live just a bit north of you in GR)

What do you think of a PoolSkim in the shallow end and The PoolCleaner or a robot to replace the Baracuda?
    ^That is exactly what I do -- PoolSkim and a dolphin M4, which I run pretty much every day The combo really makes a difference.

The other difference, for which you'll think I'm nuts, is I don't use a solar cover at all, pretty much for the exact reason you state, plus a awkward footprint with a grecian up against a terrace.

I do use Liquid Cover, and I do heat the water pretty much constantly, but its still less than heating the house in the winter (though not by much in late Sept and October ) It actually seems I use less gas just leaving the heater on and up than when I experimented in previous seasons with shutting it off and heating it up for weekend. Hubby the math guy reasoned that this would be the case...less energy required for constant incremental heating/maintaining than big moves up, etc.

While I understand why you might not want to ditch the cover, I'm pretty sure the pool skim and a good bot like the M4 would make your life a lot easier
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, I tried it like that the first summer and liked it.....
    It may be time for easier.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I may have overlooked it, but I see no mention of a manual leaf net. Not a $20 junker but a good one that, with a really good pole, may cost $70+.

Their is simply no substitute for it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I may have overlooked it, but I see no mention of a manual leaf net. Not a $20 junker but a good one that, with a really good pole, may cost $70+.
    Their is simply no substitute for it.
    I took this advice from Dave, and bought this one: Purity Pool/Pro Leaf Rake @ Amazon

It was very good advice.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

I do have 2 nice big rakes. They are useful I agree.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, rake a little, and let the robot do the rest. They can get a good number is leaves up.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the help!
    I found the correct skimmer doors, big improvement! I also got a 42" leaf rake, lots faster!

18. Back To Top    #18

Ooh, I like the 42" rake. Mine is only 20 or so. Good one!
    TFP Moderator