Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Pressure from Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

No Pressure from Pump

Hello all. I just had my first opening this morning.

After I got the pump running, the pool guy told me not to add anything to the pool until after the pump runs 1-2 days straight. Note that my water was cloudy and I had a lot of organic debris in the water as the cover did not completely cover this pool over the winter.

I ran the pump fine for about 5 hours today and then tested (for the first time). Readings were as follows:
    175 CH
    70 TA
    70 CYA
    68 PH (not sure if this is accurate--this is the lowest number in the test)
    Water was at 59 degrees.

I turned off the pump..
    I added some DE to the skimmers (.75 cup) to improve the filtering.
    The filter PSI reading went from 21 to about 25 in an hour or two.

I didn't expect it to go up this much and wasn't sure if it was due to the DE or the debris in the pool.

I turned the pump off and performed my first backwash (I later learned that this may not have been a good idea)? In any regards, when turning the pump back on, it was making a louder than normal noise and the filter showed 0 PSI. I checked the flow at the pool and nothing was moving. Looking in the pump, I did not see water filling the skimmer while it was running. When the pump stops, water will fill the skimmer again.

(Note that I have not added any chemicals to the pool as of this point.)

I really don't want to call the pool guy back over if I don't have to. Does someone have any ideas on where I could start? Was thinking of taking some time off work tomorrow and taking the pump apart (I watched a YouTube video)... Again, I would rather not spend my time tomorrow doing this. Any suggestions? Hope it's something simple.

~As a first time pool owner, I have a lot to learn~

Thanks!
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Pressure from Pump

It sounds to me like the water level is too low or the weir (door) in the skimmer is stuck. What's happening is that you're sucking all the water out if the skimmer and losing prime. You probably lowered the water too much when you backwashed. Also make sure the pump basket is clean and the lid on it is down tight.

By the way, the rapid pressure increase is normal when you're using DE in the filter in a green pool. You're better off just letting the sand filter catch what it can until the water is grey and cloudy and then add the DE when you can stick around and babysit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can not clear up the pool with the filter if the problem is stuff growing in the pool. You need to get some chlorine in the water and follow the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

When you changed your valve position to backwash, did you change the position of any other valve? Perhaps closing the pump inlet valve? Also, if your control valve is a multivalve, check to be sure you actually put it in the backwash position. On my valve, "closed" (some say winterized) and "backwash" are right next to each other.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The water level is at or above the marker on the return. I have two skimmers in the pool--both doors are open. I checked the pump basket and retightened the lid.

When I changed the valve position to backwash, I dot not change any other valve. I turned off the pump, put the multi-valve in backwash, turned off the pump, then put it in Rinse. Turned off the pump, then in Filter gain. What I *forgot* to do the first time, is let the air out of the filter. However, I have since tried this process again with the air valve open.

Right now, when the air valve is open, the multivalve in filter.. the pump has water in the basket.. When I turn this on, the pump empties water in the basket and runs with no pressure in the filter. No water is coming out of the filter release valve. When I turn it off, the basket fills up again.

I would love to start my first SLAM process, but need this pump working again
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Something is stopping the waterflow to the pump. Either a valve, low water, plugged water pipe, stuck weir door, low water level. Or an air leak in the suction side plumbing is sucking air instead of water.

Do you have. Bottom drain? Can you switch all flow to the bottom drain with a valve?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

What is a bottom drain?
    Pete

8. Back To Top    #8

I just put the garden hose in the skimmer hoping it would make a difference.. It didn't.
    Pete

9. Back To Top    #9

No, bottom drain is the drain on the bottom of the pool.

The marks on the skimmer are a guide only. If your pump is large, those marks are meaningless.

When the pump is on, what does the water in the skimmer box look like? Not the pot on the pump itself, but the basket/box on the backside of the skimmer opening. Is it full? Is the water rushing out of the skimmer box? Is there a vortex?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you post pictures of your equipment setup?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

The water in the skimmer box does not change when the pump is running. However, I just noticed that one of pump drains in the pool was intermittently emitting air bubbles.
    Pete

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like you have a suction side leak. That will allow air into the system.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Pictures:

Hayward Super Pump: http://1drv.ms/1ONObW1

Coming into the pump: http://1drv.ms/1yzCXQQ

Multivalve: http://1drv.ms/1yzDcvm

Back into pool: http://1drv.ms/1yzDy5j

Pool: http://1drv.ms/1Os0cQS
    Pete

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey, I've seen pics of that pool before! Nice!

On the coming into pump pic, where does the pipe on the bottom draw water from? A suction cleaner?
    On the upper two pipes the left says deep, is that for bottom (main) drain and the other is skimmers?

If yes to both above then I propose turning the lower valve so that off points down to bottom pipe and upper valve off to right so that skimmers are off. And see what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks everyone! I turned off the skimmers and just allowed the bottom drain to run.. that did it! I then slowly opened it up to the skimmers.. everything is back to normal

thanks again!
    Pete

16. Back To Top    #16

Woot woot!
    TFP Moderator