How to winter cover with deck?

BellaBuggy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Bardstown KY
I've enjoyed looking at the many pool install/deck build threads, and I've noticed that most decks seem to have the top rail sitting snug on top of the deck. Is that just how it looks in the pictures, or are they really constructed with such a tight fit?

I think it looks great like that, but I don't understand how the pool would be covered for winter if the deck is built that way. I thought the cover tucked around the top and then had a big bungee cord type strap around the pool to hold it in place?

Rain is preventing our dig from happening, so I'm thinking of everything else I can while I wait {im}patiently. :)

I left a few inches from deck to top rail so the cover could go on n I could remove the top rails for future liner replacement without having to crawl under the deck. I ain't getting any younger. lol

My pool came with the house so I did not set it up this way, but the deck around my AGP is over the railing by perhaps 4 inches and then they used 2x4s on their side so the 4" part is the face to cover that gap. This looks very nice and also leaves a small gap that is just large enough to slide the winter cover through. However, it requires crawling under the deck to do so, which is a pain, and with even the smallest amount of settling, the gap closed enough this year in one spot where I could not fit the winter cover without cutting the wood slightly. Further, I am going to have to replace my liner this season, which means I am going to have to remove those "face" pieces and hope that it gives me enough room to remove the top rails. You really only need a gap the thickness of the winter cover (plus a little safety margin would help) to get the cover on. The ability to remove/access the top rails is another story.

We built our deck even with the pool railing but left about 1 to 1.5 space to slide edge of cover into.
Then we bought a new cover that came with rubber bungee straps and we drilled small holes into the edge of the deck that the bungge straps hook into. This way there is very little weight on the sides of the pool. Our deck goes completely around the pool, so it works out well for us.
small.jpg

Wow Casey -I am originally from Greene County PA and that pic looks like home to me!

Don't you know it! That is Brownsville and the Mon River! If you want to see more pics, hit up the PM n I'll get you on FB. You can look at home all you want. :cool:

My deck sits about an inch or so below the bottom of the top rails. I have no problems putting on the winter cover. As long as I can get the cable into that slot, the cover holds just fine.

The issue is going to be replacing the liner. I did not build the original small deck to that height (I did build a larger deck to match the existing). I *think* I can get the screws out of the top caps with a small ratcheting 90 degree screwdriver. If not, then I am going to have to pull the deck boards.

An other nice bonus about having that inch of so space means I don't have to mask the top rail when I stain the deck. I can just cut in under the rail with a brush.

-dave

We have a patio stone deck that goes around 1/3 of the pool. When the landscapers put it up, we made sure they left a couple inches of room so we could get to the liner and put on the winter cover. In one spot, the brick is so close to the rail that I had to wrestle the cover thru. Now, we put part of the cover on the deck and hold it down with the sand tubes used to hold the ladder down. The rest of the cover hangs over the rails and weighted down with water filled jugs. Not pretty but effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.