Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chapter One: It Came With The House

1. Back To Top    #1

Chapter One: It Came With The House

Ok here we go! First question for the experienced.

The Polaris 380 keeps hanging and tangling up. My reading has told me the hose might be too long. Also seems like there is one too many sections... Here are some pics..

Hangs up here alot

and here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chapter One: It Came With The House

The hose should be long enough to reach, pulled relatively straight, from the outlet to the farthest point of the pool, on the surface. If yours is long, it is likely to curl around and get tangled. As I recall when installing mine, the installation instructions were a bit picky about which end of the hose is cut to length, so be sure to google the instructions for your model to adjust the hose length. The other thing to play with on the polaris is the water outlet "tube" on the bottom, back of it. You can point it different directions to test out how it best works to guide it around your pool.

Welcome!
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's been a pain to figure out. Is there a better cleaner that uses the booster pump I already have?

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Polaris Pool Cleaner gets stuck

Mine was doing exactly the same thing. Although my hoses, swivels and floats are all 10 years old, I decided to experiment before replacing anything. The first thing I tried was to have the backwash from the backup valve blow towards the front of the Polaris instead of towards the back. That was too days ago and so far I've had only a couple of hangs which the Polaris corrected itself within 30 seconds of the backup valve turning off. That all seemed too easy, so I'll post back here in a week or two and let the group know if things are still working properly.

Thanks, Bill

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cbl600r View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's been a pain to figure out. Is there a better cleaner that uses the booster pump I already have?
    The Polaris is an outstanding vacuum! What you really need is a manual . . . http://www.poolcenter.com/medias/man...380_Manual.pdf

Once you know how to properly use this great tool, you'll be amazed at how little time you'll need to spend weekly tending to your pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same Polaris and I've had a lot of problems with mine. There may be a ton of things causing it to hang up, but IMO, the most important thing is to make sure your back-up valve is working properly. It should cycle every few minutes to pull the Polaris off of whatever it is stuck on. I think getting stuck is unavoidable with these things, but if your back-up valve is working, it won't stay stuck.

Before I replaced mine, I noticed that even when it wasn't "activated," the back-up valve had a steady stream of pressure coming out, which I think was interfering with the operation of the Polaris. Once I replaced it, it got stuck less and it now pulls itself off of whatever it is stuck on.
    ---
    30,000 gallon vinyl pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Hayward Super Pump
    AO Smith 1 1/2 HP Pump (27GPM)
    Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

Check out the app I created to control my pool equipment from my smartphone:
    i-created-an-app-to-control-pool-equipment-with-smartphone-t61606-20.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill3 View Post
    Mine was doing exactly the same thing. Although my hoses, swivels and floats are all 10 years old,

10 years... AMAZING. Then I noticed ARIZONA location. Ok, now I see.

My Polaris hose needs to be replaced after about 3 or 4 years. Winter stiffens it a lot, and it runs all winter here in Houston area. Also the swivels tend to get old and stiff, sort of crunchy instead of smooth twisting. But, getting a full new replacement hose online was actually cheaper than going part by part as I tried to do at first. Several parts were essentially free.

To the original poster, Maybe you should try a whole new hose if yours is over 4 years old.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    10 years... AMAZING. Then I noticed ARIZONA location. Ok, now I see.
    FWIW, the post that mentioned that my equipment was 10 years old was posted in another thread. The moderator moved the reply to this thread because the other thread had not had another reply in almost years, so he thought it was more appropriate here.

A contractor is just winding up a major renovation of my pool which should be over in a week or three. After that I intend to take the 100's of pictures I've taken of the process, delete all but the most interesting photos, then make a web page. I'll post a link in this forum when it's ready.
    7,100 gallon IG kidney pool (desert water isn't cheap)!
    Pebble Tec, Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Intelliflo
    Polaris 380, Rainbow Lifegard #320 chlorine feeder
    MP Industries water level control
    2015 Pool Renovation