Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool step weights

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool step weights

Got some new steps and ready to float. Like the ideas here about being able to remove the weight. Fought the old ones the previous had filled with sand.

Gonna make some of the weights out of 3"PVC. Quick question I may have missed. Do you mix the cement and fill the tube. Allow to dry then cap? Or is it dry? Thanks!
    12,900 AGP, Sand filter,Hayward SPX1515Z2ES Two Speed Motor PowerFlo LX pump, Aquabot Jr, TF100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool step weights

Call me cheap but I filled bleach jugs with sand and water n used bungee cords to hang them under the steps. Done.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Call me cheap but I filled bleach jugs with sand and water n used bungee cords to hang them under the steps. Done.
    You're cheap.

But then, I suppose so am I cause this is what I did this year too.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JGDUSC View Post
    Gonna make some of the weights out of 3"PVC. Quick question I may have missed. Do you mix the cement and fill the tube. Allow to dry then cap? Or is it dry? Thanks!
    If you're going to use cement, I'd recommend mixing it up like you were going to use it and pouring the tubes full. That way it's the heaviest it can be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer to think of myself as value conscious Have a bunch of 3" pvc pcs and a bag of concrete left over from another project so. A couple caps and I am on my way! I assume they could be filled with sand as well but I have the concrete.
    12,900 AGP, Sand filter,Hayward SPX1515Z2ES Two Speed Motor PowerFlo LX pump, Aquabot Jr, TF100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JGDUSC View Post
    I prefer to think of myself as value conscious Have a bunch of 3" pvc pcs and a bag of concrete left over from another project so. A couple caps and I am on my way! I assume they could be filled with sand as well but I have the concrete.
    Thrifty. I like it.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I use pea gravel instead of sand (and fill the spaces with a bleach/water mix).

That way if a cap comes loose, pea gravel is a lot easier to clean up than sand from the bottom.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

8. Back To Top    #8

I am still tweaking this design. There aren't many attachment points for my PVC weights. Had another thought. Wanted opinions on. 5 gallon bucket of pea gravel in a food service filled container. The are 3 bucks at firehouse subs. Hopefully the pickle smell wouldn't leach out

9. Back To Top    #9

Why go with a pickle scented bucket to put in to pool. Just use a 5 gal pail from any big box store. It does not have to be food safe to go in the pool, just clean.

However, if you go with the pickle bucket, the smell will fade. I have a 30-40 gallon barrel that used to hold hot, pickled, cherry peppers. I use it as a rain barrel. The smell fades after about 2 weeks of it sitting (emply) in the sun.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

10. Back To Top    #10

I was gonna use the pickle bucket cause it has a nice lid with gasket that I assume would seal better than a standard one is all.

11. Back To Top    #11

That's what im going to do this year. The last two years ive used to 5 gallon Home Depot buckets filled with 40lb bags of concrete. Place lid on top of buckets, then set inside stairs. Only down side is the lids will get algae on top, but this year im drilling more holes in stairs for water circulation...
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

12. Back To Top    #12

We filled 5 3'-4' long 3" PVC pipes with sand and sealed/glued the caps on. We zip tie them together and attach them under the stairs. Stairs don't move much. LOL
    Cut the zip ties at end of season to remove the weights and then use them on the deck to hold the cover down over the winter. Works great. ;o)
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

13. Back To Top    #13

I used bleach bottles filled with pea gravel last summer and it worked well. I liked the idea of putting water and bleach in them too. Already got them back in the pool this spring. It took six of them to hold the steps down. They are attached with bungee cords.
    AG Doughboy 16x28', Opened June 2016
    Aquaview 20" filter w 7 position valve
    1-1/2 hp Powerline Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit