Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worried about fire

1. Back To Top    #1

Worried about fire

At the last minute my wife said she wants my kamado joe in our outdoor bar. It's framed with wood will have concrete counter ontop plywood base. In the cabinet can I use cedar around inside of cabinet or do I need to use something else? I'm worried about the heat not so much sparks. And thoughts would be great

Jeeper
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Worried about fire

Should be ok. I have a primo which I know they sell a teak table for. The outside does get hot, but not hot enough to start a fire. Just be careful on the framing. These things are heavy!!
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it a ceramic one or a metal one? I've seen some metal ones recently which i would be leery about. But, a ceramic smoker should be fine. I agree that the outside of Primo doesn't get that hot either. +1 on HEAVY!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah its a kamado joe grill like a green egg

18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

5. Back To Top    #5

Sweet! Ceramic smokers rock!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

My concern would be the occasional sparks or backfire, you should have some non-flammable surface under/in-front of your bottom vent.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you google Primo Oval Stand primo sells a real version that is very nice. In the few years and hundreds of pounds of charcoal I don't believe I have ever got an ember out the bottom vent.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

8. Back To Top    #8

Agreed, that is not how the airflow goes, air goes in the bottom and out the top. So, if there is an ember to be had theoretically it will come out the top. But, if you don't let the coals cool fully you could pull some hot coals out with the cleaning tool. I've seen people put a piece of sheet metal in front of the lower vent on the primo forum.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

If the worry is when removing ash. Lazy pays here. Just wait. If you don't want to wait you could just have a piece of HD foil or aluminum that you put then when you remove the ash. Personally I find that the removal tool is very messy. I use it to scoop the ash to the front then use a small dry vac to suck it out.
    ~Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

Welders supply have a flame retardant blanket you could line it with