Learn from my mistake

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
Well, the basics are in my signature but I will go over it - 23,000 gallon gunite pool with a 600lb Sand filter, 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor, 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/sheer decent waterfall. I keep it open 12 months, but not a lot of swimming in the winter;)

For the past few months the pump has started to get louder and touching the housing it seemed to be getting hotter then I remember. I start researching replacing the motor, not looking forward to the mess. You see, my pool equipment is installed in the crawl space of my house. To give you an idea, the crawl space is 12 feet high in this part of the house and double french doors are next to the pool equipment. The problem is that for humidity control, the entire crawl space is encapsulated in plastic. Water running all over the place would not be a fun prospect. I'm still trying to figure out how to deep clean the sand filter.

So, on to my mistake.....

As I said, the pump has been getting loud. Today I'm doing my normal clean up routine, empty skimmer baskets, clean the filters and re-start my M5 robot, check the pressure and backwash the sand filter. Normal pressure for me is 11. I get to that part of my routine and notice my pressure is 5:confused: Why would the pressure go down?

Well, I haven't shut the whole system down and opened the basket canister/filter just before the pump. I've been looking through the nice clear top, don't see anything and move on the next item on my list. Luckily there are valves on every pipe going to and from the pool. I shut off the pump, close all the valves and pull the top of the canister. I don't see anything. But, when I pulled it out it was almost completely clogged with all the small stuff that can get by the skimmer baskets (mine have liner son them so I figure not much gets past). The gunk had filled all the holes and plugged the darn thing up.

Once I cleaned that thing up and restarted everything the pump is nice & quiet, pressure on the filter is back at 11 and the sheer decent waterfall has more water flowing than I remember before.....

Open those darn things up and clean them, even if they look empty.....

Good tip, and will do tonight. Amazing those all got so plugged they blocked you off like that. Love my skimmer socks, but a few things do get past. Like you, I don't pull this basket enough, just look in there.

I mean, used to not pull it enough. :mrgreen:

As an update, the pump is still nice and quiet and the sheer decent waterfall is putting our more water than I can remember. I guess the waterfall slowed down gradually so I never noticed the flow volume decreasing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.