Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can these stains be scrubbed off (pic)

1. Back To Top    #1

Can these stains be scrubbed off (pic)

I have a high CYA level of 200. I'm assuming these purple stains are are result from that?? Not sure, but I will be draining my pool soon and wanted to know if these stains can be removed with scrubbing the sides of the pool with a stainless steel pool brush or is there another method? Will these stains dissappear if I get the CYA levels down to 30-50 ?https://flic.kr/p/sa8gz3
    16,000 gallon, IG, Plaster, pool and spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can these stains be scrubbed off (pic)

Sorry, can't seem to get the pictures to load on here.

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure those are stains, and not the original color showing through worn off paint?

High CYA didn't cause anything like that in my pool, and I started with it about 240 when I took over the maintenance.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard beat me, but not stains from CYA. I also had 200+ CYA with no staining. It does look like wear to the surface or etching of some sort.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

It's also on the sides of the tile where the spa pours out and into the pool. It's like a tough chalky substance.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mendez4047 View Post
    It's like a tough chalky substance.
    Calcium scale, maybe?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Purple cyanurate maybe?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mendez4047 View Post
    Purple cyanurate maybe?
    I've never heard of it, but this guy has and wants to sell you a bottle of metal & stain control.....

He claims it's caused by high CYA (which you have), copper in the water (do you?) and high TA & high pH. Have you tested for copper?

9. Back To Top    #9

Haven't tested copper yet. I'll do it this weekend.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I've never heard of it, but this guy has and wants to sell you a bottle of metal & stain control.....

He claims it's caused by high CYA (which you have), copper in the water (do you?) and high TA & high pH. Have you tested for copper?
    That's how I came up with my guess about purple cyanurate because that's exactly what my pool has.

11. Back To Top    #11

Did a copper test today. Zero copper in the water.

12. Back To Top    #12

I will be draining my pool this weekend. Should I acid wash? or can this be scrubbed off? anyone?